Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
802.11x Camera with fish eye or wide angle lens — Parallax Forums

802.11x Camera with fish eye or wide angle lens

xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
edited 2011-12-28 16:54 in Robotics
Hello all, I have been using a D-Link BCS-920 wifi IP cam with my robots. I like it because it is low power, very light and small and the HTML/PHP is easy to hack into my own page for viewing.

The thing that I do not like is the image is very narrow and zoomed. I usually do a lot of panning and tilting to look around. I went on a few major search engines and found a couple cameras that said they were 'fish eye' lens type. Both of these cameras were pretty expensive and the more I looked the more I realized I may have to modify what I have, or find something else. For now, I'd like to find something else.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

As long as it's wifi, 5v-12v, no mic needed. I have seen them in the $1000 range, I'm looking for something way less, like $200 or so. Thanks!

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-12-28 16:36
    It might be easier just to replace the lens. See if you can unscrew the lens all the way out. If so, measure the diameter of the threaded part using calipers. If it's 12mm, you're in luck, since there is an abundance of lenses available that will fit the camera. The specs for your camera reveal that the lens has a 5.01mm focal length and is designed for a 1/4" sensor. Any 12mm dia. x 0.5mm thread lens designed for a 1/4" or larger sensor should work. You will want one with a smaller focal length to cover a wider field of view. For example, to double your field width, get a lens with a 2.5mm focal length. Here is a list of places that sell such lenses:

-Phil
  • xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2011-12-28 16:54
    I'm with you on that, but the DLink's lens has this focus knob and a molded plastic all over the lens and camera board area. I carefully tried to remove it all but got nervous because I use this camera a lot for other stuff and don't want to donate it quite yet.

IMG_0615.jpg

That's the camera. The focus ring is the black plastic around the lens. If you unscrew it far enough it just stops. I'm pretty sure it won't screw back on once removed.

I'll keep looking at cameras another day, if that doesn't work I'll pull apart the DLink.

Thanks!
    1024 x 768 - 76K