Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Robot App Store... Legit? — Parallax Forums

Robot App Store... Legit?

ercoerco Posts: 20,255
edited 2011-12-25 13:51 in Robotics
http://www.robotsappstore.com/DevelopersProgram

Claims you can make money writing apps for various robots. But be wary, since they urge you to "harry up" and register.

Is it just me, or does a web site lose credibility by misspelling words, grammar & punctuation?

It gets worse on http://www.robotsappstore.com/DevelopersProgram/For-All-Users/12.html

...we will be happy to accept your enrollemnt to our prestigious Developers Program,. You will get a chance to get a unique account entitling you for additional 15% on their sales, for a whole year

Might just be more profitable to send your bank account info to the guy in South Africa who wants to give you 1.4 million dollars.

Comments

• GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2011-12-25 10:10
    Likely legit, but it's probably more for the Pioneer's and Nao's of the world, rather than Erco's Wonderful Wooden Bots. Or Gordon's PVC Marvels.

The problem with this kind of endeavor is that if the idea catches on, it takes 15 minutes for Google to replicate it. The barrier to entry is extremely low. Still, it's the kind of thing that -- if done right -- helps lend legitimacy to our little corner of the universe.

-- Gordon
  • spikedspiked Posts: 20
    edited 2011-12-25 10:18
    Just a 'me to' on the app-store kind of thing. It worked for one company, maybe they will get something useful going, maybe not.

yes +1 on the missed grammar causing some credibility loss. To me, it shows techies skipping over the business smarts part of it. I had a merchant I dealt with once before hacked and my credit card info stolen. Things like not proof reading web pages makes me wonder what else they didn't spend enough time on.

Mike
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2011-12-25 10:50
    erco wrote: »
    http://www.robotsappstore.com/DevelopersProgram

......Is it just me, or does a web site lose credibility by misspelling words, grammar & punctuation?

Nope, it's not just you. I find myself biting my tongue and telling myself that a lot of this is written by someone for whom English is a second language. Of course a lot of it is written by native English speakers who obviously paid very little attention in school.
    Might just be more profitable to send your bank account info to the guy in South Africa who wants to give you 1.4 million dollars.

This might be overstating the case just a bit. On the other hand I would not recommend holding your breath while waiting for the money to start rolling in. You might just get a case of the blues.
  • Joe.MannJoe.Mann Posts: 1
    edited 2011-12-25 13:51
    Hey guys,

Thanks for catching this wording hiccup! (which was fixed)

As you may know, running a new venture means doing many things in parallel. Sometimes, small glitches just happen...
    As the Developers' Program manager at RobotsAppStore, I can assure you, the company is valid and legit!
    I invite you to our office - (Suite 1500, 50 California St. San Francisco, CA), so you can get the impression yourself!

Merry Christmas everyone!
    Joe