Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Original 1993 basic stamp revD through hole board support — Parallax Forums

Original 1993 basic stamp revD through hole board support

MikeyDMIMAmanMikeyDMIMAman Posts: 4
edited 2011-12-24 14:37 in BASIC Stamp
Hi Basic stamp users. I am new to this forum, but have been using microcontrollers since 1970. Back in 1993, I got one of the first basic stamp boards,( Original 1993 basic stamp revD) and had some fun learning to program it. First project was a light guided robot that would drive through a maze of light colored boxes, searching for the dark spot. The second was a talking voltmeter using one of the radio shack addressable sound recording chips. I then progressed into becoming a Pic micro controller user, and have pretty much stuck with Microchip since then.
I have a good friend and neighbor that is 82 years old, but still sharp and interested in modern technology and is interested in learning more about microcontrollers, so I dug out the old basic stamp, and want to give it to him so he can have some fun with it.
Unfortunately I do not seem to be able to find any information about how I may use the newer Pbasic editor, and serial programming to make it work for him.
I ordered a new basic stamp kit for him, but would like to get this antique basic stamp running again if possible.
It has 3 programming pins, that I seem to remember would connect to a special parallel cable, but unfortunately all the documentation and cables have dissolved into the mountain of old electronics that I have accumulated, so I am hoping that one of you guys would be able to set me straight as to the possibility of using the board, or should I just hang it up on the wall as a relic of an earlier time.
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. The Pbasic version is 1.4, and the processor is a Microchip 16C56 with a 93LC56 eeprom
Mike

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-12-23 13:27
    The Stamp board you have is a BS1 which is still supported by the current Stamp Editor and the Manual. You will need a programming adapter that goes between the 3-pin connector and a standard 9-pin serial cable. If his PC doesn't have a serial port, get one of Parallax's serial adapters. Look on the Parallax webstore page for the BS1 for links to the adapters.
  • MikeyDMIMAmanMikeyDMIMAman Posts: 4
    edited 2011-12-23 14:11
    Thanks Mike,

I already ordered him the
    http://www.parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/BASICStampProgrammingKits/tabid/136/CategoryID/11/List/0/SortField/0/Level/a/ProductID/313/Default.aspx
    kit, which has the USB to serial adapter.

I have several RS232 to USB adapters, so I expect that the serial adapter is just a level shifter circuit, is there a schematic, so I can make my self an adapter?

I downloaded the editor and have installed it on my XP box, so with a schematic I can build the final interface, and start to play so I can be up to speed when he gets his kit next week.
    Don't want to look like a newbie.
    Thanks
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-12-23 14:20
    Look at the documentation for the programming adapter. There's usually a link for that off the webstore page for the product. The documentation includes a schematic.
    edited 2011-12-23 14:41
    Mike,
    I see it now, sorry to ask questions before thoroughly searching, but I am just getting familiar with the layout of the site.
    I will build up an adapter and give it a try.
    Thanks
    Mike
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-12-23 15:48
    Any chance your 82-year-old neighbor has an older computer that has a parallel port? If so, he can build a simple 3-wire cable and use the old (unsupported) DOS Stamp editor. That's how I started and I still occasionally use an old monochrome laptop with a parallel port for certain "apps".

Down with Bluetooth, up with Green Screen!
    edited 2011-12-23 18:42
    Not a chance, he just got a computer last year, and has learned to use it pretty well.
    He was a machinest in the days before CNC, and has a small machine shop in his basement. Need to encourage the oldtimers to keep their brains active by learning new things.
    I built the RS232 to 3 pin circuit, but it looks like my USB to rs232 does not support the DSR pin 4 , so the card has no power.
    Bummer. Why is it never easy.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-12-24 14:37
    Why is it never easy.

If it was easy, ANYBODY could do it! :)