Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Possible improvements BoeBot PING)) IR-combination? — Parallax Forums

Possible improvements BoeBot PING)) IR-combination?

Kris CardoenKris Cardoen Posts: 46
edited 2011-12-23 01:16 in Accessories
Hi,

I'm using the basic BoeBot navigation setup, being Ping/with servo + IR led detection.

This setup is not running perfect. The led sensors are placed close to the ping servo and sometimes hits the leds while moving.
Also the leds sometimes don't detect thin/high objects like chairs and tables. Because of the blind spot it wil hit the table supports and thus damaging the leds because they stick out.

Is there a better way to navigate? Unsing the ping sensor only or using other detection then the IR leds placed on the Br. board?
Are there any suggestions to improve the detection capabillities of the BoeBot?

Thanks for all tips!

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-12-22 08:05
    I don't know if it's better than the standard layout, but I mounted a single IR detector on the PING bracket above the PING, then mounted two IR LEDs, one on each side of the space occupied by the PING bracket and turned slightly to the side so they illuminate that quadrant. I used an extra black plastic tube piece, like those used with the IR LEDs, glued to the front of the IR detector to narrow its field of view.

Ultrasound and IR tend to work with different surfaces and materials. By using both, you will increase your ability to detect obstacles, but thin objects like table and chair legs are really hard no matter what you use. That's why some kind of bumper switch is a good 'fail-safe'.
  • Kris CardoenKris Cardoen Posts: 46
    edited 2011-12-23 01:16
    Hi,

Thanks for the feedback! Do you have a picture of the fix? I'm not the macgyver type :smile:
    If it is not too much trouble

Regards,