Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
regulate 12 battery to 9 volt supply — Parallax Forums

regulate 12 battery to 9 volt supply

Lightfoot54Lightfoot54 Posts: 1
edited 2011-12-24 15:06 in Robotics
This is a response to Mooneyguy on the "How to read mv output voltage" thread in the sensors forum, but it belongs here so as to not cross post or hijack the thread.
I made this simple circuit so long ago, I don't know where I got the design, but it has always been reliable for me for running anything in the car up to 4.5 amp draw. It has only 8 components.
You set the desired output voltage, anything less than 12 volts by adjusting the 5K mini pot. I usually have it set for 7.5 volts for a laptop computer.
Use (3) LM317T voltage regulators, each puts out 1.5 amps. Heat sink them well
voltage regulator.jpg
1024 x 526 - 27K

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-12-21 21:10
    Lightfoot54,

Welcome to the Parallax forum! And please don't be discouraged by my comments to follow. We value your contributions here! :)

That's probably not the best design to use. The reason is that the regulators' internal voltage references will vary by a little. With paralleled outputs, what will happen is that the loads will not be shared equally among the three regulators, with one of them supplying the bulk of the current, while the other two loaf.

BTW, in your schematic, the battery is reversed. The plus side gets the long bar; the minus side, the short one.

-Phil
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2011-12-23 18:41
    Phil is right, this is not a good way of increasing the current. The method suggested in the Fairchild 78xx data sheet using a PNP transistor is a simple and reliable way of doing so. Unfortunately I seem to be unable to upload anything lately so I cannot post the schematic. If anyone wants it PM me with your email address and I will email the data sheet to you.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-12-24 15:06
    Lightfoot54,

Welcome to the Parallax forum! And please don't be discouraged by my comments to follow. We value your contributions here! :)

-Phil

By all means, welcome Lightfoot54! We certainly welcome and admire your enthusiasm and desire to help. My own posts often get "corrected" by heads much wiser than mine. It's both humbling and inspiring to be a part of this well-informed group. We all like to help out wherever we can. Keep up the good work and Merry Christmas!

erco