Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Pin Problems — Parallax Forums

Pin Problems

nrsmacnrsmac Posts: 42
edited 2011-12-19 13:14 in BASIC Stamp
Ok, so I have my BOE with my basic stamp. Whatever I connect to PIN 1 goes HIGH. When I use it as IN1, It stays as a 1.

I have checked for shorts. Don't see any though. What is wrong with my pin? Is this hardware related? or is it software related? How do I fix this problem? Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-12-19 09:13
    First of all, are we talking about I/O pin 1 (P1)?

What program is in the Stamp?

Assuming that whatever program is in the Stamp doesn't set I/O pin 1 to output a high logic level, then you have a short circuit somewhere that shorts I/O pin 1 to the +5V supply, either directly or via some other pin.
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2011-12-19 09:16
    What program is in the Stamp?
    Is the program (intentionally or unintentionally) making p1 an output and putting it high? What device are you connecting to PIN 1 that makes the pin go HIGH?
    When used as an input, is there anything external that connects to +5 volts? It will make the pin look like a "1".
    If you have accidently shorted the pins to ground for an extended period or put a high voltage on the pin you could have damaged the internal circuitry of the the Stamp.

With more information, we can make a better attempt at helping.
  • nrsmacnrsmac Posts: 42
    edited 2011-12-19 10:39
    My stamp has this problem with every program I run it in. When I connect an LED, regardless of the program, it goes high.
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2011-12-19 10:49
    It's a simple exercise to check, if it's "P1"

[code]
    Main:
    LOW 1
    PAUSE 500
    HIGH 1
    PAUSE 500
    GOTO Main
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-12-19 11:01
    As PJ suggested, load the program he indicated. If an LED attached to I/O pin 1 blinks at a 1 second rate, the I/O pin is good. If the LED doesn't blink, then the I/O pin is bad. It might be the BOE or it might be the Stamp. In that case, contact your distributor or Parallax if that's where you got it.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-12-19 13:14
    If all else fails, remove the Stamp from the board and see if you still get +5V at the socket for the suspect pin.