Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
VB Express to Stamp Companion thread — Parallax Forums

VB Express to Stamp Companion thread

CatspawCatspaw Posts: 49
edited 2012-01-14 07:38 in BASIC Stamp
Out of respect to Unsoundcodes thread and the desire to focus on the code rather than the VB, I am starting this thread. I had a hard time using the primary attached file. I have just started exploring VB...literally about a week ago. I am also waiting for my first stamp (should be here wednesday.) So what may have seemed obvious, there were a number of things regarding VB that just didn't work for me. I really had to do alot of research to figure out how to get the first code together.

Consequently, I have re-upped the file with an appendix that describes what actually needs to be done from the VB perspective.

My intention is to generate what I was looking for orginally and to help the absolute beginner.This is for VB Express 2010. Hopefully, this will add just one more bit of knowledge to expand the braintrust on this site.

Comments

• jsaddictionjsaddiction Posts: 84
    edited 2011-12-18 21:14
    I have played around with VB a little myself trying to build a program to assist troubleshooting a peice of gear at work. I failed miserably as i could not get the serial comms to work properly. I am very interested in this thread because of this reason and to be honest having some sort of purpose built software that would integrate some some stamp or some prop hardware would be great. I will subscribe to this thread in hopes that you may figure out the tough stuff. (at least tough for me)
  • CatspawCatspaw Posts: 49
    edited 2011-12-19 05:32
    I'll clarify alittle here and state that my hope is this thread (as a companion) will be found in searches on this subject. Then, us noobs can worry about the basics of VB here without clogging up the other thread. Afterall, it is the BS forum. But, using VB in conjunction with a BS is indirectly valid.

What I may put here is what I am experiencing. It doesn't necessarily mean what I say is gospel. Since I don't even have my BS yet, I can only work in the theoretical.

As I perused the BS spec.s I came to the conclusion that the BS is good for having a function, but, it isn't a substitute for a PC or for data storage. So I needed to know how to make a PC the brains and have one or more BS modules execute the will of the PC.

We'll see.
  • Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2011-12-19 06:23
    Here's an open source C# serial port terminal with logging support. The terminal is pretty handy if you're wanting to save diagnostics data on a PC.
    http://www.agaverobotics.com/serialportdemo.zip

It's pretty easy to use and like VB 2010 it is written against the .NET framework. It works with a standard Propeller serial port objects or the stamp's SEROUT command.
    edited 2012-01-13 16:56
    Well, here's my feeble attempt to participate alittle more. I posted a blog with my take on all this serial comm stuff. Guess I could've inserted a link in here. But, I've had enough for tonight. My brain is full. Don't feel like figuring out how to do it.
  • davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,047
    edited 2012-01-13 20:34
    Cats,

I'm a bit more familar with VB2005 than 2010...and not that great with 2005 to begin with...but I seem to be missing where in your code it's determined what port the BS2 is using so that VB2010 can open the correct one.

Did that make sense?
    edited 2012-01-14 02:56
    I knew there would be some sort of disconnect with my blog. So, here's the link to the thread for somewhere to start. This link is also in the blog.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?96973-VB-Express-to-Stamp-Template

The object here is to go thru that thread and make the basic Form1, Form2, Module model as presented by Unsoundcode. The blog takes that, figures a few things out, then (tries to) explain what's going on so that someone can have a solid base for writing their own PC/Stamp system without having to think about the interface....but, just writing PC apps that will talk to their Stamp.

I posted two blogs. The first one exceed the character count. So I split it up into two. The second blog has the code without all the explanations for cut and paste. I'm going to check whether the second blog appeared or not. It's the first time doing this for me, so, I don't know if I posted right or have made things accessible as I intended. The code contained therein is for Form1 and not the whole thing (since the rest of the model is fine as it stands.) I really only made changes in the Form1 code except for defining one new variable as noted in the text, which hopefully will be simple for even the new programmer can handle.

After going thru the above thread, you'll find that Form1 is the main window. Then you will have made a Form2 that allows the user to set the Com port and Baud rate. It will be different for everybody depending on equipment.

Since I just started learning VB a couple of weeks ago, I can't say what the differences would be between 2005 and 2010.

I'm hoping that all this will provide noobies with some info on a generic interface. With others who know more joining in, I think it will eventually all get cleared up.
    edited 2012-01-14 03:04
    O.K. I just noticed the little blog entries number over by my screen name and it said I had only 1 entry. So I just re-posted the second blog. Don't know why the last one didn't take. But it should be there now. It includes the Stamp code also.
  • davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,047
    edited 2012-01-14 07:38
    Catspaw wrote: »
    After going thru the above thread, you'll find that Form1 is the main window. Then you will have made a Form2 that allows the user to set the Com port and Baud rate. It will be different for everybody depending on equipment.

...ok, understood.

Thanks!