Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
2 axis joy stick(center value) — Parallax Forums

2 axis joy stick(center value)

graffixgraffix Posts: 389
edited 2011-12-12 17:35 in Accessories
would this http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/sens/27800-ADCExample.zip
adc circuit help the joy stick return a consistant center value?Or is it a mechanical issue.Or ?

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2011-12-12 14:14
    Some amount of change is common in my experimentation, but I'll leave it to the others to explain why (might be A/D power supply stability, mechanical/design issues, etc.). A couple of programming tricks can alleviate this headache, however, such as scaling the X/Y output over a range, introducing a deadband for the center, and perhaps using a progressive formula to amplify changes away from center position.

Ken Gracey
  • graffixgraffix Posts: 389
    edited 2011-12-12 14:23
    Thanks for the reply Ken.I addressed some programming tricks in a similar thread before. I'll wait for others to reply more technical data perhaps.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2011-12-12 16:53
    I think it is largely a mechanical issue. The pots in the joysticks are not the highest precision. A dead band or null zone around the center works well.
  • graffixgraffix Posts: 389
    edited 2011-12-12 17:02
    Thank u much sir
  • Jorge PJorge P Posts: 385
    edited 2011-12-12 17:10
    I think this is an issue with all joysticks, not just Parallax's. If you have ever played PC/XBox/PlayStation video games, they all have dead zone and sensitivity settings that you can adjust. On Radio Control Joysticks, there is a similar setting called trim that will adjust the center as well.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2011-12-12 17:35
    Yes, the Parallax joysticks are better than some others that I have tested. However, a good RC transmitter is far more precise. The trim just offsets where it centers, either mechanically on the older ones or in software.