Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Play AVI file with BS2 — Parallax Forums

Play AVI file with BS2

Luis_PLuis_P Posts: 246
edited 2011-12-13 13:37 in BASIC Stamp
Hi:
I need to play a music video on a TV monitor (rca conn.) I'm looking for a media player that I can control with the Basic Stamp. I know I can use a computer but I need something smaller and portable. An SD card storage that plays AVI, MP4... with rca outputs and protocole commands to retrieve the files? Is there somthing out there like that?

Gratzie!

Comments

• GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2011-12-12 09:23
    I've not seen a commercially available board that does this, though I agree it would be handy for a lot of projects, including things like automated in-store displays. I imagine most of the boards capable of this are custom made for specific products.

If the track-to-track delay isn't too bad for your project, you might be able to hack a cheap DVD player. Your BS2 might interface directly, or generate the proper sequence of IR codes, simulating the remote.

-- Gordon
  • tobdectobdec Posts: 267
    edited 2011-12-12 09:48
    used ipod...
  • Luis_PLuis_P Posts: 246
    edited 2011-12-12 10:52
    I've not seen a commercially available board that does this, though I agree it would be handy for a lot of projects, including things like automated in-store displays. I imagine most of the boards capable of this are custom made for specific products.

If the track-to-track delay isn't too bad for your project, you might be able to hack a cheap DVD player. Your BS2 might interface directly, or generate the proper sequence of IR codes, simulating the remote.

-- Gordon

For who maentioned Ipod... Yes I can send a command from my Basic Stamp and play and video on my ipod. Only one problem, I CANNOT PLAYBACK the video on the TV monitor. The ipod video cable (RCA) you need to play videos on TV is very complicate to hack. I tried to solder TX, RX pins form BS2 to that dock connector but doesn’t work, the ipod cable has a microchip inside and will not let you do that.

Luckily I found what I need, is a video storage you can control with Parallax BS2 !!!!!!
    http://www.teamkingsley.com/MedeaWiz.htm
    I will use the DV-68, accept Bs2 command to play any specific video file. PERFECT!
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2011-12-12 17:07
    Yeah, but the MedeaWiz player that supports AVI is over $400, and I didn't see H.264 support. You didn't mention what video playload you're using in the AVI file, but I'm guessing it's MPEG4 or some variant.

If hacking is okay, something like this might provide what you need:

www.jdoqocy.com/click-5319127-10439518?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.geeks.com%2Fdetails.asp%3FInvtId%3DAZNMP101&cm_mmc=CJ-_-3367652-_-5319127-_-Product%20Catalog%20&cjsku=AZNMP101

I' ve been meaning to get one of these for trying out. It has touch panel switches on the top that might be hackable, plus of course the remote. You can sniff the codes the remote uses, then replicate them on a BS2.

-- Gordon
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-12-13 13:37
    Slightly off-topic, but that's nothing new for me... :)

I have several different digital picture frames. Several have speakers and can play MP3 files while they scroll through the picture files. A few of those can play AVI & MPEG files directly. Kind of neat to be able to watch an AVI movie on a $25 picture frame. There's no rewind or fast forward, mind you. Straight through from the start. Multiple files can be accessed using the pushbuttons, which could be hacked & Stamp-controlled/sequenced. Seems like a great solution in search of the right problem. I plan to use one of these as a robot chassis when the mood strikes me. Wheels good. Legs better.

Grog like legs. Legs... GOOD!