Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Rfid with temperature from tag — Parallax Forums

Rfid with temperature from tag

moonmoon Posts: 5
edited 2011-12-10 10:52 in Robotics
Hello
I want to work a program using RFID to know the temperature.
We will use the com port. My question is How can I take the data discernible temperature of Tags and insert in a database?
There is something I did not understand in the programming of RFID. How is the transfer and send data to and from the Tags? I need to explain this part.
I'm sure that this forum will solve my problems.
Forgive me if my English is incorrect, because I am learning English.

Comments

• SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2011-12-10 04:16
    I've never seen an RFID tag that will transmit temperature of the tag. Usually, RFID is used to uniquely identify something. Most of the RFID tags are read only as well. You could use something like the IR thermometer mounted next to the reader to "wirelessly" record the temperature.
  • moonmoon Posts: 5
    edited 2011-12-10 05:14
    SRLM
    Probably did not understand my intention
    Tag I mean is that the measure of the temperature. I want to get out the value of the temperature of the Tag to the text or database
  • phishguyphishguy Posts: 36
    edited 2011-12-10 09:19
    The only RFID tag that I'm aware of that has temperature data is the Destron Fearing Biotherm tag. The temperature information is sent out as a serial ASCII message when using a Biotherm enabled Destron fearing RFID reader. The ASCII message would look something like 985.152000000123 40.0C. I'm unaware of any other temperature sensing RFID tags. If you are not using a Destron Fearing reader, it will be much more difficult to extract the temperature information as it is embedded in the trailer portion of the tag telegram structure, which isn't normally accessible.

BTW - I'm a former employee of Destron Fearing.
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2011-12-10 10:52
    Most of the inexpensive tags (ie, the ones Parallax sells) don't have any thermometer built into the tag. So there isn't even the possibility of getting temperature. Can you provide a link to the tag and reader that you are using?