Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
S2 Expansion Board — Parallax Forums

S2 Expansion Board

nglordinglordi Posts: 114
edited 2014-01-14 12:38 in Robotics
My objective was to make the S2 hacker port available in the form of an expansion board placed on top of the S2. My first step was to provide external access to the port by drilling a hole in the top of the S2 shell, through which cables connected to 8 port pins (6 digital i/o & 2 analog inputs) and the 5 volt power supply would pass. Attached Fig_S2A shows the placement of the hole on the S2 cover and the cabling connected to the hacker port inside the S2 body. Also shown in the image is a standoff constructed from a plastic tube which fits in the pen port and is attached to the expansion board. There are two small holes drilled in the front of the S2 on each side. These align with the holes in the top extreme right and left of the expansion board shown in Fig_S2B.

While there are many possible designs for expansion boards, I chose a design which includes space for those sensors I decided to add to the board while allowing for sufficient flexibility to add other modules. The devices I planned to install are labeled on the board. These include a compass or GPS, a tilt sensor, the SHT11, a servo and/or ping. Since the hacker port pins are passed through a level shifter with the outputs pulled high to 5V, I elected to power the devices at 5V, except for the XBee. The power strip on the left side provides the 3.3V required by the XBee, as well as allowing the board to be powered externally. Note the small prototyping area on the right side. Additional holes were added to facilitate attachment of daughter boards, e.g., a QuickStart.

Fig_S2C shows the board with all sockets, headers, and some standoffs in place. The hole if the board labeled 'S2 Wires" was enlarged to allow room for the wire connectors. Machine screws were placed in the two top holes that aligned with the small holes in the S2 to hold the board in place. Wires were color coded to identify the specific S2 propeller pins. The prototyping area was setup to allow addition of an Adafruit level shifter board. 5V power was provided to the board by connection of the 3 wire connector (includes analog input 0) at the bottom as well at the top (servo connection).

I will show some possible board configurations in the following post.

NickL
481 x 361 - 56K
476 x 539 - 82K
481 x 361 - 117K

Comments

• nglordinglordi Posts: 114
    edited 2011-12-09 15:23
    This continues the previous post. Attached are 4 figures showing different configurations of the expansion board.

Fig_S2D shows a simple configuration where a solderless breadboard is attached. The XBee and prototyping areas are available for use.

Fig_S2E shows a configuration which includes the XBee, a Ping, SHT, 4 directional tilt sensor, and compass. The orange wire connects to the Ping, the grey wire to the Xbee din, the violet wire to the XBee dout through a 4.7K resistor, and the remaining 3 i/o wires to the compass.

Fig_S2F shows a configuration were the compass is replaced with a GPS module, the Ping is attached to the servo, and a heat sensor is connected to the port on the right of the servo.

Fig_S2G shows the addition of a QuickStart module, adding more pins to avoid the S2 limit where only 6 i/o pins are available.

I have also attached a version of the S2 default demo which allows the user to select the demo from a PC terminal emulation by wireless XBee, rather than pressing buttons on the S2.

NickL
    325 x 352 - 115K
    601 x 451 - 88K
    361 x 348 - 128K
    361 x 439 - 150K
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2011-12-09 15:23
    nglordi: Fantastic idea, yours is the first dedicated S2 item I've seen. Great implementation!
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2011-12-09 15:26
    Very nice!

Your dual-prop S2 has some serious firepower now!
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2011-12-09 15:39
    That is an impressive S2 mod.
  • Jessica UelmenJessica Uelmen Posts: 490
    edited 2011-12-09 15:43
    Way cool! The possibilities are endless with this mod, awesome work!
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-12-09 16:06
    Wow, Nick! Very nicely thought out and executed!

-Phil
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2011-12-15 20:14
    Great, great project! Sorry it took me so long to find it.
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
    edited 2014-01-14 12:38
    Stumbled upon this thread while looking for a bit more info that I needed for my current S2 Modification project. I happened to notice one of my PowerTwigs on the expansion board. Very cool! Do you have any extra boards?