Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Ranquest, new video game for the Propeller - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Ranquest, new video game for the Propeller

2»

Comments

• trodosstrodoss Posts: 577
    edited 2012-01-04 20:32
    JT Cook wrote: »
    The two biggest items taking up memory are code and graphics, neither of which can be put on the SPI sram since they both needed to be in Propeller memory. I originally thought about using the SPI ram on the C3, but the more I worked on it, I didn't see much use for it (for this game). The majority of the data either HAS to be in Prop RAM, or is mostly read only data (graphics, map, music, etc) that can be read off the the SD card at close to the same speed.
    That is what I have found--it can be read from the SD card fast enough, so there really isn't a need to use the SRAM for a lot of things.
    One cool trick I discovered was that once you load the code for a COG into COG memory, you can re-use that memory space in global ram (if you never intend on stopping the COG).
    I have seen that mentioned before, and have not tried that yet. Sounds like I should ;)
  • Ahle2Ahle2 Posts: 1,178
    edited 2012-01-08 15:23
    This is probably the coolest game for the Propeller yet.. :)
    I will upload a video of it in action very soon.

/Ahle2
  • Ahle2Ahle2 Posts: 1,178
    edited 2012-01-12 03:42
    I was just about to record some game action when I found this
    I guess Jay grew tired of me saying that I will "soon" upload a clip... =P
  • JT CookJT Cook Posts: 487
    edited 2012-01-12 17:36
    I am glad you liked the game and can't believe you saw the Youtube post before I even posted it on here! I was planning on doing my own video capture of the game so I can have it in my own Youtube portfolio.

If you are still wanting to do one for your purposes feel free. Time to update the first post with the video.
  • pedwardpedward Posts: 1,642
    edited 2012-01-12 22:28
    I'd love to see a Commander Keen game on the Propeller, man that was such a time suck! :smile:
  • RoadsterRoadster Posts: 209
    edited 2012-01-13 19:21
    attached is zip file that contains a bin file that runs Ranquest on El Jugador, I will post the code changes when I test it for other boards
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2012-01-13 21:19
    Awesome Roadster! (And JT!) Shall I add it to the Megapack on my next update?

OBC
    edited 2012-01-15 11:03
    Roadster: The folder win_game_code needs to be recompiled and rename the binary ranq.wdt. I changed it from .bin to .wdt so it wouldn't show up in bootloaders (since it is meant to be loaded from the game anyway).

Somethings I have noticed while I was coding it(I do not have an El Jugador to test) is even though the game looks like it compiles OK, the memory is a tight fit. Things I have noticed is if you die, pick up a treasure, or go to an Inn may trigger an overflow where you will see junk appear on the screen. Those would be items to test.

After this has been tested and given the ok and source posted, I will put a copy on the first post for easy finding.
  • RoadsterRoadster Posts: 209
    edited 2012-01-27 19:00
    Attached is the working source for the demo board and El Jugador, I'm sorry it took so long but I've been very busy.
    edited 2012-01-30 19:35
    Ok.. Found all the Treasures... Where's the @#$@! castle.. :) Great game!

Any chance we can play with some of tools you used to design it?

OBC
    edited 2012-01-31 18:16
    Roadster: Thanks for the port, I put it up on the first post for easy access.

Oldbitcollector: The castle is right in the middle of the map. I will see about releasing the tools, but I need to see if they will compile for Windows first....
    edited 2012-01-31 20:07
    . I will see about releasing the tools, but I need to see if they will compile for Windows first....

Perhaps this will solve the problem of converting the tools to windows..

http://www.cygwin.com/

OBC
  • trodosstrodoss Posts: 577
    edited 2012-01-31 21:50
    I will see about releasing the tools, but I need to see if they will compile for Windows first...
    @JT, maybe you could just release the tools "as is" on the platform they were written for and/or just release the source code? Might save you having to try to port/support the tools. Just a thought.
    edited 2012-02-10 13:37
    I have compiled the map editor into Win32 binary and wrote up a quick document on how to use it. Overall it is pretty user friendly, but it comes with no warranty. So if it takes down your system, it is your own fault ;)
    642 x 520 - 20K
    edited 2012-02-10 20:02
    Nice!! Thanks JT

What did you do your tiles in?

OBC
    edited 2012-02-13 12:12
    I created the tile and sprites in a small graphics program I wrote, but I need to find the source code for it. When I do it should be pretty easy to compile for Win32 (like the map maker). Now the tiles in the graphics driver are 8x8 pixels, and the tiles in game map are 16x16 pixels (4 standard tiles tied together). There is one data file that holds the 8x8 graphics tiles, and one data file that tells which 8x8 tiles make up a 16x16 tile. For that one I just built the data I believe from the Propeller itself. It was originally hard coded data that I dumped to the SD card, then removed the code. So for the 16x16 tiles, there is no editor for that.