Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Home Brew Camera for image tracking. — Parallax Forums

Home Brew Camera for image tracking.

Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
edited 2011-12-08 18:56 in Robotics
Scribbler's 1 & 2 have a three cell eye and "Robot Builder's Bonanza" discusses building several home brew vision systems. For the past year I've used the Parallax line scan camera for as Scribbler's vision on steroids and Jolt. While I like the line scan camera, it only has one dimensional vision. But this video takes a home brew vision system farther than I've seen. He has a two dimensional vision and added a lens:

That's a pretty small image and 32 x 32 seems more useful, but it seems usable for object detection in two dimensions. Not sure how he would threshold it for different levels of sensitivity unless he had an ADC.

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2011-12-08 11:16
    Very nice. I'm a documented lifetime fan of the KISS principle, and that's a sweet app. I've seen those 8x8 LEDs on Ebay, and this is exactly the sort of use they are perfect for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-pcs-8x8-Dot-Matrix-5mm-Red-LED-Display-Common-Anode-/170667115992?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27bc8d85d8

or, bicolor: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-DOT-MATRIX-DISPLAY-8X8-TWO-COLOR-LED-ARRAY-MODULE-/260723038767?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb44dda2f
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-12-08 11:23
    It's not clear from the video whether the camera can provide actionable data to an external processor, or if the photosensors are just connected directly to the LEDs and nothing more. 'Interesting concept, though.

-Phil
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2011-12-08 11:47
    It's not clear from the video whether the camera can provide actionable data to an external processor, or if the photosensors are just connected directly to the LEDs and nothing more. 'Interesting concept, though.

Yeah, I followed the link to his website, but it's not in English so I couldn't get more details. From the pictures here http://nicotak.com/robot/camera/ it certainly looks like he's hooking up to the NXT brick. The brick uses I2C, so I'm guessing that's how he accesses the matrix outputs.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2011-12-08 13:46
    He's getting a slightly faster response time than my BS1 "camera". :)
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?126078-Poor-Man-s-BS1-Slow-Scan-Camera
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2011-12-08 14:10
    Recently I've been working on something similar to this puppy:

http://homepage.mac.com/dave_chatting/arduinoeyeshield/

Check out David's "Reflections in Cider" demo, which is super-cool.

(Yes, it is for the Arduino, but most microcontrollers can handle it. The Propeller can handle it without the LM1881 sync circuitry, and I imagine the video op amps.)

I'm using this camera, which is is actually overkill because I'm not processing color:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=CM320&cat=VID

It's quite possible to get fairly decent cameras for <$15 through eBay and direct-from-China sites. (Geeks.com is a mile away and I can willcall, as I don't like waiting for my goodies.)

This is nothing like the system Phil has demonstrated, or the CMUCam4, but for down-and-dirty it's not bad.

-- Gordon
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2011-12-08 14:52
    Oh, a change to plug my version of Hanno's machine vision.

attachment.php?attachmentid=80519&d=1303582009

I hope you can tell the "HI" on the display is the same as the "HI" on the whiteboard. (The camera is held in my fingers (top left).)

I've got to take a video of this. It looks a lot better with a bit of motion. (I've also got a cool looking font that scrolls across the screen.)

While I have access to all the vision data, I haven't done anything useful with it yet. I'm like the fox that tries to catch the whole flock of Canadian geese instead of going after just one (and hence goes hungry). I keep adding new projects to my plate without finishing my earlier ones.
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2011-12-08 17:15
    Gordon, that is a neat project. I like the Arduino as well as the propeller, so it's good to see what people are up to with it. Although the odd spacing between pins 7 and 8 drives me crazy.

Duane your application of Hanno's machine vision has lots of LED'S, so how can it not be great. Plus the propeller can do it using only an ADC, and Phil is pushing things farther. I agree that getting the information is the easy part, it is hard to do something useful with it.

Erco, I forgot about that one., it's inspired.

All of the NTSC machine vision projects have a common trait in that they collect a lot of data and then throw a lot of it away. What's neat with this phototransistor matrix is that he gathers very little data, but that makes it easier to use.
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2011-12-08 17:49
    Martin_H wrote: »
    I like the Arduino as well as the propeller, so it's good to see what people are up to with it. Although the odd spacing between pins 7 and 8 drives me crazy.

That's just so you don't plug in a shield backward. I only occasionally wish for even spacing, and with the PICAXE AXE401 I realize how little I'd use it (it has a double row for standard and re-aligned). I've made my own "half shields" when I had to, and I've only occasionally purchased bare shields, as cheap as they are these days.
    All of the NTSC machine vision projects have a common trait in that they collect a lot of data and then throw a lot of it away. What's neat with this phototransistor matrix is that he gathers very little data, but that makes it easier to use.

In the case of the Arduino project very little data is collected. Basically all it does is trigger an analog compare interrupt whenever the video input exceeds a threshold. So it's really only one bit of data for however few or many video scan lines you want to look at. With some open source TV sync libraries out there, it's pretty easy to set the resolution. You could, for example, gather just 8x8 or 32x32 or whatever from a 320 by 280 frame.

-- Gordon
  • HannoHanno Posts: 1,130
    edited 2011-12-08 18:56
    Very nice Duane! This weekend Steve W. is giving a talk about using the Propeller, ViewPort and the ADC based vision capture in embedded applications at the Chicago ChiBots club. Good to see lots of progress happening with video input!
    Hanno