Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Itty bitty card stock boxes? — Parallax Forums

Itty bitty card stock boxes?

Martin HodgeMartin Hodge Posts: 1,246
edited 2011-12-12 12:31 in Robotics
I am trying to investigate the possibility of having some very simple product boxes made but am coming up a bit light on the Google searches. Has anyone looked into this before?

Here are two examples. I like the left one better because it fits the dimensions of my boards exactly and requires no gluing. Just fold and tuck. I assume whatever manufacturer I would buy from would want a minimum order of many, many more than I need.

DSCF6720.JPG
800 x 600 - 145K

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-12-06 14:02
    You could try http://www.uline.com . They have a huge variety of boxes. Also, don't forget the antistatic bag.

-Phil
  • max72max72 Posts: 1,155
    edited 2011-12-06 14:43
    There are books available with this kind of designs (some have vector models on CD). If you couple it with a laser cutting service you can get small quantities, and do surface engraving.
    Laser cutting on paper is for sure cheap.

When you'll need 1000s of boxes you can move to a different manufacturer... :-)

edit: search for packaging or "structural package" on Amazon if you want to get started
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2011-12-06 17:09
    You could try http://www.uline.com . They have a huge variety of boxes. Also, don't forget the antistatic bag.

-Phil

+1 on uline. I have used them for items like small custom boxes to 20 cu ft bags of anti static peanuts and 250' rolls of anti static bubble wrap. All items shipped to a residential address. I would have gone broke going to the UPS store to ship 200+ ebay auctions.

Being the boards are small, wouldn't a Small Mailing Priority box be an alternative? The boxes are free, and I have a 25 pack sent to my home for free delivery also.
  • Martin HodgeMartin Hodge Posts: 1,246
    edited 2011-12-06 18:48
    Max, thanks for the search info, I'll look into that.

Publison, that's what I'm using currently. A heat sealed anti-static bag with some padding in a small flat-rate box. However, the little ChipKIT and quick start boxes just look slick! I checked out uline, I've used them before

Something like this cutting some simple card stock from Staples could be a possibility. (but I don't know if it goes with any of my purses.)
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-12-06 18:54
    Machines like the Cri-Cut are designed to cut thin vinyl or paper. I doubt that they possess enough knife pressure to cut though card stock.

-Phil
  • schillschill Posts: 741
    edited 2011-12-06 19:57
    I have a CraftRobo that I bought specifically to cut cardstock. It works great for that.

http://www.graphteccorp.com/craftrobo/

You should have no problems using something like this to cut the cardstock.

Edit:

This is not the machine that I have, but here's a video showing using a CraftRobo to make a box:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvNBx7sF3B8

My machine is smaller and I use different software. I don't think mine can create creases without creating a perforation (which works pretty well).
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    edited 2011-12-07 02:18
    Here are two examples. I like the left one better because it fits the dimensions of my boards exactly and requires no gluing. Just fold and tuck. I assume whatever manufacturer I would buy from would want a minimum order of many, many more than I need.

DSCF6720.JPG
    I like the right one better because I use it as a carry-around box for my Quickstart board.. :-) I keep it in a pocket (with a stub-USB cable) and just slide it out of the box when I want to do some QS hacking. So the box functions not just as a shipping box but also serves a practical purpose afterwards.

-Tor
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2011-12-12 12:31
    Martin, for volume planning I'd recommend the folding box shown on the left of your picture. The kind we're using for the QuickStart is a real hassle for our kitting department to put together. It's difficult to assemble properly without looking sloppy. And they both look nice in final packaged form, so you might as well go with the single-piece folder.

But my preference is actually neither box - it would be a small plastic box that I could store the QuickStart in with a few key components that I take on the airplane for my projects.