Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Anyone in the Chicago area? — Parallax Forums

Anyone in the Chicago area?

4x5n4x5n Posts: 745
edited 2012-02-23 19:36 in Announcements
I live in the western suburbs of Chicago and am wondering if there's anyone else here in the Chicago area. It would be nice to have someone in the area to trade ideas with.

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2011-12-03 18:13
    4x5n wrote: »
    I live in the western suburbs of Chicago and am wondering if there's anyone else here in the Chicago area. It would be nice to have someone in the area to trade ideas with.

4x5n, I'm in Naperville at least twice a year and I'd be glad to meet up with you next time. Just came back from there last week and I'll return again in June for the Sensors Expo. I think the ChiBots group would be an interesting ongoing group you may consider.
  • DmashekDmashek Posts: 49
    edited 2011-12-03 18:35
    Ken -

What brings you to Naperville? I have lived in Naperville for the last 11+ years and counting.

Dave
    edited 2011-12-03 18:54
    Dmashek wrote: »
    Ken -

What brings you to Naperville? I have lived in Naperville for the last 11+ years and counting.

Dave

Family, mostly on the south side of East Ogden as well as some in Aurora and Joliet.

In fact, I'd really like OBC to consider Morton Arboretum's building for a UPEC event. Keep asking. . . .
    edited 2011-12-03 19:04
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Family, mostly on the south side of East Ogden as well as some in Aurora and Joliet.

In fact, I'd really like OBC to consider Morton Arboretum's building for a UPEC event. Keep asking. . . .

I am north of Ogden on Royal Saint George Dr. (near Cress Creek Country Club).
    edited 2011-12-03 19:08
    Chances are good we'll connect in person at some point in the future!
    edited 2011-12-03 19:09
    Chances are good we'll connect in person at some point in the future!

We can meetup over some Giordano's pizza. ;)
  • 4x5n4x5n Posts: 745
    edited 2011-12-03 21:29
    Looks like there are at least a couple in the area. I'm in Westmont a couple of miles south of the Microcenter on Ogden.
    edited 2011-12-03 21:36
    Dmashek wrote: »
    We can meetup over some Giordano's pizza. ;)
    Great idea. Nothing like Giordano's deep dish pizza in California.
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,559
    edited 2011-12-03 21:57
    4x5n,

Don't know where this is in relation to you, but this may be worth checking out if you are nearby....

http://pumpingstationone.org/

...after finding a similar "hacker space" here in Oklahoma City called 'OhmSpace' with 20,000 square feet of -Space-, it is truly a GEM for people like us to meet and share ideas.

Every town should have one of these!
    edited 2011-12-04 21:46
    4x5n,

Don't know where this is in relation to you, but this may be worth checking out if you are nearby....

http://pumpingstationone.org/

...after finding a similar "hacker space" here in Oklahoma City called 'OhmSpace' with 20,000 square feet of -Space-, it is truly a GEM for people like us to meet and share ideas.

Every town should have one of these!

Looks interesting. I'm going to have to make an effort to make one of their meetings. This forum is great but I'd like to actually meet with people in the area that are also actively using parallax micros in general and the propeller in particular.
  • sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2011-12-05 03:57

I would love a UPEC that close. I enjoyed getting out to the one further west last year, but Naperville would be quite easy for me.
  • Don MDon M Posts: 1,647
    edited 2011-12-06 18:16
    I am from Freeport but the western suburbs are no problem for me to attend. Only an hour or so typically to Woodfield Mall. I would like to get together with like minded individuals for some "hacking & tech time".
  • jdoleckijdolecki Posts: 726
    edited 2012-01-13 10:17
    I would be intrested in a chicago meet up.

Even better if there was pizza there.

Who else would want to get together?

Include you location when you respond.
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2012-01-16 06:42
    4x5n wrote: »
    I live in the western suburbs of Chicago and am wondering if there's anyone else here in the Chicago area.

HEY! The Chicago Robotics Club -Chibots- Chibots.org meets at the Schaumburg library on the second Sunday of most months. Join up!

In December I got elected president for 2012, so they are going to experience a slight increase in focus on the propeller chip. Sign up to the Chibot Yahoo mailing list, its free and you can start interacting with us right away. There is a small membership dues, but you don't need to pay anything until you want to participate in something that involves a cost, like a competition or something.

Also sign up to the PS1 mailing list as Beau suggested. THOSE guys are scary smart, and they do everything from scanning electron microscopes to cloth dying.
    edited 2012-01-16 06:45
    jdolecki wrote: »
    I would be intrested in a chicago meet up. Even better if there was pizza there.

Great idea! Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg is easy to get to, and should still have a couple dozen pizza places.

How's about Saturday afternoon?
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2012-01-16 06:55
    In December I got elected president for 2012, so they are going to experience a slight increase in focus on the propeller chip.

I assume they knew you were running with the Prop as one of the planks in your platform! :lol:

Congrats, Professor B, we wouldn't want you to get bored and not have anything to do!! :smile:
    edited 2012-01-17 08:22
    Great idea! Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg is easy to get to, and should still have a couple dozen pizza places.

How's about Saturday afternoon?

By Saturday afternoon do you mean the 21th?

Congrats on being voted president of chibots.
    edited 2012-01-18 12:01
    Yes the boss says I can go out and play.

There's a Sbarro right in the mall, that should be easy to find. How's about 1:30 PM? The lunch rush should be over and we could hang out as long as we want.

You, me, Don M, jdoleki? Any others, just show up and look for the pocket protectors and propeller hats.
    edited 2012-01-18 12:42
    Yes the boss says I can go out and play.

There's a Sbarro right in the mall, that should be easy to find. How's about 1:30 PM? The lunch rush should be over and we could hang out as long as we want.

You, me, Don M, jdoleki? Any others, just show up and look for the pocket protectors and propeller hats.

Sounds like a plan. I'll be there at 1:30pm! Don't have much for show and tell though.
    edited 2012-01-19 12:32
    I'm considering coming in to meet. My SO says she'll go shopping for a bit. Is it on for sure? I have about an hour and half drive to get there.
    edited 2012-01-19 16:25
    I have permission to leave the dungeon, so I'm planning to go. The snow would have to be pretty bad to keep me in.

Just in case, I'll post by 11:00 AM on saturday at the latest in case I get stuck or something.
    edited 2012-01-19 17:57
    OK. I sent you a PM with my cell number. Send yours to me.
    edited 2012-01-19 20:52
    Don M wrote: »
    I'm considering coming in to meet. My SO says she'll go shopping for a bit. Is it on for sure? I have about an hour and half drive to get there.

I plan to be there.
    edited 2012-01-21 07:15
    Roads are clear, I'll be at Sbarro in Woodfield at 1:30 PM. I hope I can find my propeller hat, the kids had it last time I saw it....
    edited 2012-01-21 07:57
    I still plan on attending. Leaving here at noon.
    edited 2012-01-22 10:42
    Just a short post by way of follow up. There were three of us at our impromptu get together and the time seemed to fly by. Don M. brought some examples of the amazing work that he's been doing with the propeller. I found them to be very inspiring and motivating.

Mostly the time was spent engaged in good conversation and even a little friendly debate. I'm glad we were able to meet up and look forward to another meetup.
  • Prophead100Prophead100 Posts: 192
    edited 2012-01-26 18:28
    You may want to think about doing a meet-up in parallel to the one at Parallax and you could easily share your projects via the Adobe Connect system they use to share desktops and/or webcams. We do this at work and it is fairly seamless. Kevin Cook @ Parallax is the facilitator.
    edited 2012-02-23 16:40
    Hey guys,

Jeff and I are discussing UPEC and I've been pushing for a location closer to Chicago. Ottawa is great, but it's a long drive from certain suburbs of Chicago - and 1.5 hrs from the SW suburbs.

Although Ottawa remains the default, we'd both like to know if anybody could recommend a place that could accommodate up to 250 people and cost about $1500 or less for a full Saturday, all day!

Parking would need to be free.

One place I suggested is the Morton Arboretum near Naperville, but it appears to be mostly oriented around weddings. Jeff and I think it might be a bit too formal for a UPE style of event.

Any input here from our Chicago-based friends?

Thanks,

Ken Gracey
    edited 2012-02-23 17:55
    I've attended seminars ,etc. at some of the outlying hotels that had large meeting rooms and free parking. That may be an option.
    edited 2012-02-23 18:02
    Yeah, Ottawa is a bit of a haul even for us in the western burbs (but it is a nice destination for a motorcycle ride!).

Suggestions:
    * http://www.cantigny.org/rentals/meetings.aspx ( but it only shows room for 60-100 people and I don't know the rental rate)

I will also contact the Naperville Convention & Visitors Bureau to see what other facilities are available.

It is quite common around here to host events at local hotel conference rooms. Would that suffice for UPEC?

Dave Mashek