Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
No stamp found error — Parallax Forums

No stamp found error

K.C. JonesK.C. Jones Posts: 5
edited 2011-12-05 09:44 in BASIC Stamp
<font size="2">I have a PC with carrier board for BS1-IC via BS1 serial adapter. I have a straight through serial cable that tests ok. The BS1-IC regulator is making 5 Volts but the stamp doesn't communicate with the PC. When I run "Identify" loopback and echo say NO. When I select "edit ports" it indicates both port 5 and port 6 are present. Device manager says both ports are working normally. Any suggestions?</font> <br>
<br>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><font size="2">K.C. Jones</font></span>

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2011-12-01 16:56
    BS1_IC.JPG

no loopback = no connection, it's just a jumper on the BS1 adapter.
    If you're using a USB-serial adapter, it may not be one that uses pin4 and/or 7.
    583 x 597 - 35K
  • K.C. JonesK.C. Jones Posts: 5
    edited 2011-12-02 11:53
    Thanks for the reply,

The adapter is the 9-pin type. To check the serial cable I ran the stamp editor Identify utility with serial connector pins 2 and 3 shorted and it indicated: Loopback NO and Echo YES. I assume this is what it should read. Is there a way to check the adapter through the carrier board to see if there is a path to the stamp. As I said, the regulator on the BS1-IC is furnishing a solid 5Volts so power shouldn't be an issue.

K.C.
    edited 2011-12-02 13:12
    There's a schematic for the BS1 Adapter -- http://www.parallax.com/tabid/391/Default.aspx
    I think it's your USB-to-serial(9pin) adapter, it may not be working pins 4, 7 (not all of them do.)
    edited 2011-12-02 15:12
    I have a 9-pin serial port out of my PC, not USB. The carrier board is for a BS1-IC (see attached .jpg).
    BS1-IC Carrier.jpg
    I checked the PCO and PCI pins on the BS1-IC with a scope and there were good logic pulses on each one when I ran the Identify utility. Each time I ran the utility I got a Loopback: NO and Echo: NO, however every once in a while I got a response in the Device Type column that read: Basic stamp 1 and the Version column that read: v1.4 but still no Loopback and Echo. It seems like it is on the verge of working but something is a little off.

K.C.
    1024 x 768 - 143K
    edited 2011-12-02 15:40
    Update. I have a 2-port serial interface, ports 5 and 6. The stamp is plugged into port 5. I edited the ports with the identify utility and eliminated port 6. The PC will after 6 or 7 attempts find the stamp and upload a tokenized program. ( to test I am using the "Blink" program ). The loopback and echo still say no but the program loads every time after 6 or 7 failures.

K.C.
    edited 2011-12-02 18:56
    OK, so there's no USB hang-up because you're using a 9-pin serial.
    And your cable is 100%?
    And you're certain there's no conflict with another app on that/those ports?
    And your power source is rock-solid?

If all that's affirmative,
    You could try situating everything on a breadboard in acc. with my dwg in #2, maybe it's the carrier. If it doesn't happen there then it's the Stamp or the Adapter.
    Shouldn't be this hard.
    edited 2011-12-05 09:00
    Well, here's the latest on this nutty problem. I come in to work today and find that the program loads every time, the BS-1 is identified every time but the loopback and echo still read NO after the upload and when I run the Identify utility. I haven't changed anything other than re-booting my PC over the weekend. The program runs fine after the upload so that's the important thing. I can get on with writing programs which is a lot more fun :)
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-12-05 09:44
    As mentioned before, loopback just tests for continuity between DSR and RTS (DB-9 pins 6 and 7). It's not used for the BS-1 adapter. Similarly, echo tests for characters sent from the PC being echoed back to the PC inside the Stamp module. This isn't done with the BS-1. Just enjoy your programming.