Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What robot kit for a begginer? — Parallax Forums

What robot kit for a begginer?

SkoorbSkoorb Posts: 42
edited 2011-12-01 09:08 in Robotics
Ive done simple basic stamp projects,nothing super complicated. But now I think I'm getting the robot bug... where would you guys recommend somebody start? Boe bot? Scribbler?

I'd love to find a platform suitable for a beginner but expandable enough so I dont have to purchase a new one to continue learning.

Comments

• Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2011-11-29 19:36
    It's a tough choice as Scribbler 2 is propeller powered and a robust offering with many sensors and wheel encoders. But BOEBot is more open ended and you are already know some PBASIC. So it depends on what you want to do.

When Scribbler 1 came out I had the same decision. I bought Scribbler 1 because it seemed like a good value. I used it and the GUI to learn PBASIC, but I slowly found myself wanting something more open ended. So I bought a CBA kit robot that is similar to the BOEBot. Between them I use the CBA much more because I can add or remove parts easily. But my son and I had fun with Scribbler, so it was worth while.

Parallax is introducing a propeller version of the Board of Education, so I imagine a propeller powered BOEBot is on the horizon.
  • SkoorbSkoorb Posts: 42
    edited 2011-11-30 06:52
    I almost bought the Scribbler 2 during the sale. Kinda regret not doing so, but I just dont know enough to be confident in the choice.

The BOEBot is at the top of my list just because of the incredible amount of resources and support that's available. But I really would like to learn Spin and the Propeller. Ii cant believe what people are able to do with that thing.
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2011-11-30 07:16
    I think you'll like the BOEBot and the book that comes with it will give you plenty of project ideas. The kit comes with basic sensors like whiskers, cds cells, and IR, but there are many more you can buy from Parallax and third parties. Wheel encoders and a compass are my favorites for any robot, I think they extend the utility significantly because you can navigate rather than just roam around. But a line sensor kit can be used to solve line mazes and so forth which many people really like.

In a couple months you can try the propeller chip by getting a SpinStamp (24 pin propeller chip) or the soon to be released PropBOE which is in a compatible form factor. I learned PBASIC first, and then moved up to the propeller so its a good upgrade path. I was also able to branch out to other brands of microcontrollers as well.
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2011-11-30 08:26
    Are you willing to put a screw driver to the case of a brand new Scribbler2 ?? it voids the warranty when you rip the wheels off.
    The case has to be opened in order to get to the available hacker port, A hole needs to be drilled to install a Pen Lifter.
    Are you willing to do this? It is not hard to do, it just voids the warranty, if this bothers you, Maybe consider the BOE bot.
    And also, the purchase of one of the Propeller Proto Boards,(USB or Serial), and install that onto the BOE bot.
    The Propeller Proto boards are the same size as the Board installed on the BOE Bot. And are interchangable...

Trust me, Learning Spin is a non-issue, You will be flashing LED's within 15 minutes, and you will know why they are flashing.
    And I think it is really hard to void the warranty of the BOE Bot, being as it comes with the wheels already torn off for you...

So my point is, what do YOU want in a robot? Something you can disassemble and reassemble? or do your tastes
    lean more to just programming an already complete and assembled robot?

For me, I am a wheel ripping, case popping, hole driller.
    The warranty on my scribbler was void within ten minutes after arrival.
    I have to be honest, The scribbler2 is not easy to attach things like Pings, compass, acclerometers, ect..
    But is very easy to program, I was writing my name within 2 hours of play time..
    it has all kinds of hardware allready installed, (the wheel encoders are insane, and has line following right out of the box.)

The BOE Bot is designed for to add things very easily, but you have to supply any wheel encoders or compasses, ect..
    It is more "hacker" friendly, than the Scribbler's.

So the choice of robot platforms is going to be more of what feels right to you. (where do you want to go today?)

Either way, welcome to the club...

-Tommy
  • nrsmacnrsmac Posts: 42
    edited 2011-11-30 10:44
    ive got a Boe-Bot and i love it. I dont really know much about the propellor or the Scribbler, but i love the fact that I can dissasemble my Boe-bot and start all over again. Just like lego
  • Jen J.Jen J. Posts: 649
    edited 2011-11-30 10:48
    If you want to preview some of the learning material, check out the "Robots for Beginners Workshop" on this page. It is a great way to learn with the S2 robot. And then page through the "Robotics with the Boe-Bot" Version 3.0 text on this page. The resource material may help you make your decision.

Happy roboting!
    Jen J.
  • AImanAIman Posts: 531
    edited 2011-11-30 21:54
    Jen J - Ya know somthing - the avatar holding the axe is either amusing or freightening...

Personally I would suggest a robot that based on your dreams. What I mean is this, if you get a robot and all you want to do is get your feet wet and expect to buy another before long then pick a very basic one in a language that interests you. If you want to do something like a 6 legged robot that can avoid objects without touching them and maybe run by remote control then you are already thinking on a more sophisticated level and need to get into a robot that will teach you the things you need to do to get where you want to go.

I started with a BS2 and then bought a bunch of SX chips and now am working on the Prop. I personally wish I would have started with the Propeller because I like to run lots of sensors but they weren't around then. My last robot on the BS2 used all the possible pins and left a desire for more. With the Prop, I have yet to max out pins because its easy to link props together. Don't get me wrong I can make valid arguments for each chip.

One robot I am working on right now requires several accelarometers, several PING, several IR, a CMU camera and some whiskers. It also is meant to have a wirlelss feed to the PC for mapping with a thumb drive backup and a PINK hookup so when I take it on a trip it can remote access the PC for memory dumps. It would be nice to add in a compass, GPS, light sensor (to turn on LED in the dark) and temp gauge. For me, the Prop is the best choice.
  • SkoorbSkoorb Posts: 42
    edited 2011-12-01 09:08
    Thank you all for the input.

I definitely like to tear stuff apart and see what makes it tick (never thought about warrantys too much). And I like the capability and "room to grow" that comes with the Propellor platform.

I'm going to go with the S2, and a hacksaw, some glue, and crossed fingers... :)