Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
USB port on a Stamp — Parallax Forums

USB port on a Stamp

stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
edited 2011-12-05 02:26 in BASIC Stamp
Hi folks,

Like most of you, I have used a USB converter plugged into a laptop in order to program a Stamp via its DB9 serial connector.

I now have a situation where the customer is changing his bar code scanners to a model only available with a USB connection. This means I need a way to make the Stamp appear as a USB master.

Does anyone know of a USB adapter that can perform that function?

Thanks

Comments

• LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2011-11-28 10:54
    You need a processor with USB OTG capability, like an ARM or PIC32.
  • ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2011-11-28 11:40
    sparkfun sells a USB host controller board. Any micro can communicate with the board via SPI (i.e. CS/SHIFTIN/SHIFTOUT on the Stamp). The board is marketed towards Arduino users, but communication is the same on any micro. It's about $25.

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9947
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-11-28 12:03
    Don't assume that any of the host controllers mentioned above will work with the barcode scanner. If the scanner uses an FTDI chip internally, there's a fair chance that a Vinculum-based host controller will do the job. If not, though, all bets are off, since the scanner probably requires proprietary driver firmware on the host end.

-Phil
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2011-11-28 12:31
    Don't assume that any of the host controllers mentioned above will work with the barcode scanner. If the scanner uses an FTDI chip internally, there's a fair chance that a Vinculum-based host controller will do the job. If not, though, all bets are off, since the scanner probably requires proprietary driver firmware on the host end.

-Phil

Thanks to Phil, Leon, Zoot.

Good points; I'll check out the barcode scanner and see which chipset it contains.

Tom
  • AImanAIman Posts: 531
    edited 2011-11-30 21:19
    Mental note to self - don't look at the bright light...
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2011-12-01 05:50
    The scanner appears as a simple USB device so it looks like the FTDI VDIP1 or VDIP2 will do the trick.

If the client agrees to a trial, I'll report the results.

Cheers,
  • UnsoundcodeUnsoundcode Posts: 1,532
    edited 2011-12-01 06:06
    I for one will be interested in hearing the results and details Tom

Jeff
  • zaftblitzzaftblitz Posts: 3
    edited 2011-12-04 17:52
    Sorry if i'm in a wrong post. i want to ask also about the viculum. want i want to do is to read some file in the usb pendrive. but what i want to do is, i want it to saperate into some folder. i manage to read/write file without the folder but when the file is in the folder and i want to write the file into the folder, it cannot be done. i had already go though the other forum, example, etc, but still cannot solve for this vinculum. can anyone help. A.S.A.P please
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-12-04 18:19
    It's against forum rules to hijack another thread for a question that's not related or only superficially related. Please don't do it again. Start your own thread with the question.

That said, I don't quite understand what you're trying to do. Can you give an example? Remember that the Vinculum chip can only handle one file at a time.
  • UnsoundcodeUnsoundcode Posts: 1,532
    edited 2011-12-04 18:24
    zaftblitz, create a new thread and describe your problem with perhaps some code you are trying and tell us what hardware you are using.

Creating folders on a thumbdrive using the Parallax datalogger or similar is not too difficult, creating your own Topic/thread will get you more help.

Jeff T.
  • zaftblitzzaftblitz Posts: 3
    edited 2011-12-05 02:26
    sorry2....i will open a new thread