Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
LED Hand Turkey Sweater — Parallax Forums

LED Hand Turkey Sweater

Jessica UelmenJessica Uelmen Posts: 490
edited 2012-11-22 15:27 in Robotics
Hey everyone!

Now I know people here post really awesome projects, and what I'm about to post pales in comparison. But I figure I'll give it a go.

Lately, I've been mucking about in the world of e-textiles, and I must say, I've been having a lot of fun. I think my "girly" side is finally feeling triumphant. :lol:

Last weekend, I wanted to create something that celebrates the often-forgotten holiday, Thanksgiving. So I put together an LED Hand Turkey Sweater. Basically, I'm a big kid and wanted an excuse to trace another hand turkey.

The circuitry is pretty simple: four feather strings with 4-5 LEDs connected in parallel Then, the four strings are paired off into two separate circuits and connected in parallel with a 3 V 2032 coin cell battery.

Each circuit draws about 25 mA of current, and the batteries end up lasting all day but the LEDs do get pretty dim by the time I'm home for the day.

Now I just need to wear this sweater every day and get the most life out of it before having to retire it until next year! Hopefully my co-workers don't judge me too harshly. :tongue:

Cheers,
Jessica
300 x 224 - 19K
190 x 300 - 13K

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2011-11-20 21:14
    It looked and functioned really nicely. Wear that to a party and people will get very enthusiastic - easy way to start a conversation.

Here's my CCFL shirt http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?119151-Multicolor-CCFLs which became really hot and blinding for other guests. I had to carry a 12V 7 amp-hour battery in a fanny pack just to power the system. A couple of drips of perspiration could have caused a pretty major short across my skin.

Ken Gracey
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-11-20 21:50
    Nice idea & execution, and the turkey is tastefully located on your sweater. After all, this IS a family show! :)
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2011-11-21 08:03
    erco wrote: »
    ...the turkey is tastefully located on your sweater....

Great minds think alike.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2011-11-21 08:57
    Nice idea & execution, and the turkey is tastefully located on your sweater. After all, this IS a family show! :)

+1
  • Jessica UelmenJessica Uelmen Posts: 490
    edited 2011-11-21 09:07
    Oh yes, keeping the sweater PG was an absolute requirement. While I find hand turkeys to be adorable, they certainly can certainly be mischievous when they want to!

I plan to work on a Christmas sweater next, which will be a bit more complex and Propeller-powered! :smile:
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2011-11-21 09:14
    I don't get the turkey connection. It looks just like a hand to me.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2011-11-21 10:58
    Leon wrote: »
    I don't get the turkey connection. It looks just like a hand to me.

Look at Pic # 1

It's got legs, a beak, and eyes.
    edited 2011-11-21 11:16
    Thanks, I get it now. I thought it might be the LEDs representing a turkey's foot (I think they have four toes, like most birds).
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2011-11-21 13:00
    Leon,

From an early age, American children learn how to make a turkey by tracing their hand. It's a good art activity in many grade levels (from pre-school into 2nd and 3rd grade) for something to do around Thanksgiving time. That's our own little national holiday where every (EXCEPT the Turkey) is thankful for the blessings we have and spends time with family and food celebrating these blessings. If you're not into the blessings thing, it's a day off from work when you can eat to excess, watch American football and then if you;re really insane, you get very early the next day to beat people to the big chain stores and wrestle "on sale" items from each other to stimulate the retail economy by spending money you probably don't have.

Jess, Way cool sweater! Can't wait to see you Christmas extravaganza!!
    edited 2011-11-21 13:06
    Thanks for the clarification. I suppose that kids trace their hands here, but the turkey doesn't have the same significance with us, being mainly consumed at Christmas.
    edited 2011-11-21 13:24
    It was almost our national bird!! The majestic eagle....or the turkey, quite a choice!!
    edited 2011-11-21 13:28
    Leon: You poor Brits miss out on all the Thanksgiving and Fouth-of-July fun that define us Yanks! And FWIW, I knew nothing of your "Guy Fawkes Day" until I saw the movie "V for Vendetta". That had to break your heart when they blew up Parliament & Big Ben...

Yes, the parents of every first-grader in America are presented with hand-traced turkey artwork every Thanksgiving. It's a rite of passage.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-11-21 13:38
    Jessica,

'Very cool sweater! Can we infer by the direction the turkey is facing that you're left-handed (having traced your right hand using your left)?

Leon,

You Brits really ought to adopt something like Thanksgiving. It's a great safety valve for the December holiday season. In the U.S. Thanksgiving is the biggest travel week of the year, as families converge to chow down on plump, hormone-injected poultry without the added pressure of decorating, gift-giving, etc. What that means is that the importance of convening again on Christmas is much diminished, leading to a more relaxing, less stressful and less guilt-ridden holiday. :)

-Phil
  • Jessica UelmenJessica Uelmen Posts: 490
    edited 2011-11-21 14:21
    Phil,

Clever! But alas, no. I got tricky as I am right-handed. After tracing, I flipped the felt over to hide leftover Sharpie residue from the tracing process.

- Jessica
    edited 2011-11-21 14:29
    Ah, so: 'fooled by the old Felt Flip trick. It's back to forensics school for me! :)

-Phil
    edited 2011-11-21 15:13
    It's back to forensics school for me! :)

-Phil

I wonder how many police/homicide "chalk outline guys" can literally "trace" their career path back to making hand-shape turkeys from first grade.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2011-11-21 15:36
    You Brits really ought to adopt something like Thanksgiving. -Phil

This holiday is extra fun for Phil since he's a Pilgrim.

Ken Gracey
    edited 2011-11-21 15:57
    Yup. We do the restaurant thing on T-day. (No dishes to clean. :) But no left-over turkey, either. :( ) Making reservations sometimes goes like this, though:
    "I'd like to make a reservation, please, for your Thanksgiving buffet."

"Certainly, sir, how many in your party?"

"Nine."

"And your name?"

"Pilgrim."

"Ha ha. Yeah, right, and I'm Miles Standish. [click]"

-Phil
    edited 2011-11-21 16:03
    psst! Phil, tell them you're "Mr. Parallax", they'll seat you right away! :innocent:
    edited 2011-11-21 16:10
    Ooh, that might just work!

I always figured a restaurant should be paying us to eat there on T-day. Imagine the ad possibilities: "Gobbler Grill, where even the Pilgrims come to dine on Thanksgiving!" (Maybe we need a new agent.)

-Phil
  • ajwardajward Posts: 1,130
    edited 2011-11-22 02:48
    Yes, the parents of every first-grader in America are presented with hand-traced turkey artwork every Thanksgiving. It's a rite of passage.

Don't think I ever did the "hand turkey" thing. However Mom did end up with a couple of the classic "hand print in a puddle of plaster" masterpieces.

@
    edited 2011-11-22 03:11
    ajward wrote: »
    Don't think I ever did the "hand turkey" thing.

@

You may be legally required to repeat first grade, depending on your local laws. :P
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2011-11-22 08:19
    So is version 2.0 going to be propeller powered?
  • davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,047
    edited 2011-11-22 08:25
    Yup. We do the restaurant thing on T-day. (No dishes to clean. :) But no left-over turkey, either. :( -Phil

"The heavenly aroma still hung in the house. But it was gone, all gone! No turkey! No turkey sandwiches! No turkey salad! No turkey gravy! Turkey Hash! Turkey a la King! Or gallons of turkey soup! Gone, ALL GONE! "

Christmas Story, 1983
  • RagtopRagtop Posts: 406
    edited 2011-11-22 13:51
    So is version 2.0 going to be propeller powered?

With a button so that you can selectively give people the finger.
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2012-11-22 15:27
    Cool project Jess! Happy Thanksgiving to all!

I would make one of these, but unfortunately, I just at the turkey...