Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
No power to Basic Stamp??? — Parallax Forums

No power to Basic Stamp???

AndyC1986AndyC1986 Posts: 9
edited 2011-11-16 20:16 in BASIC Stamp
I am currently in a class where we are programming with the basic stamp kit. I have the Basic Stamp 2 homework board, (yes im a newb). Anyways, i am not getting any power to my stamp, i have had it for about 3 months and am always cautious with it (static) and what not. I was hooked up to a power supply with 9 volts because my battery was dead, and everything was working fine. I disconnected power to make adjustments on my stamp, then went to turn it back on and no power at all. This has happened to me once before, i gave it 12 hours and it then worked again just fine. Is this board toast or what? Anyone have any troubleshooting options? Thank you.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-11-16 11:59
    How did you hook it up? Could you have connected it backwards? How do you know there's no power? Do you have a voltmeter or multimeter?
  • AndyC1986AndyC1986 Posts: 9
    edited 2011-11-16 12:09
    Not backwards. Like i said it was working just fine. Im assuming there is no power beacuse i go to run a program and it says "no basic stamp found". There is a green led that would light up when power was connected. i dont see that anymore. I am in class but i will check power with multimeter in the next hour or so.
    edited 2011-11-16 13:01
    The "no basic stamp found" message can be caused by lack of power, but it can also be caused by a lack of a functioning serial connection. How do you have your PC connected to the HomeWork Board? If you're using a USB to serial adapter, is it the same one that worked before? Is it the same PC? The USB to serial adapter (if used) has to have the manufacturer's USB driver installed. If you're using the USB HomeWork Board, your PC has to have the FTDI USB driver, either from FTDI or from Parallax (as part of the Stamp Editor installer). There have been some cases of the USB or serial cable failing over time and causing this.

You should find 5V between Vdd and Vss jumper sockets on the HomeWork Board at the top of the breadboard area.
    edited 2011-11-16 13:25
    I do have power. I am connected to a power supply with 9 v and reading 5v at VDD. So power is working. I have the straight USB connection, no serial adapter. Same USB that i have always used and same PC. Nothing has changed from when i first purchased my stamp till now.
  • davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,047
    edited 2011-11-16 13:45
    @Mr. Green,

If Andy has a laptop, what about that USB latency adjustment thingy? (I forget the correct words)

You helped me with a similar sporadic problem on my laptop when I first started out.
    edited 2011-11-16 13:48
    I do have a laptop.
    edited 2011-11-16 14:47
    Sorry Mr. Green, it was Mr. Savage that pointed me in the right direction.

@Andy - go here:

http://www.parallax.com/Accessories/USBDrivers/tabid/530/Default.aspx

and click on the "trouble shooting" link at the bottom of the page. It will pull up some informaton concerning USB port configuration, that if not setup properly, can cause sporadic recognition and download to the Stamp.

Also, make sure that the FTDI drivers referenced on the page are installed.

Let us know what happens?
    edited 2011-11-16 15:05
    When i first purchased stamp i downloaded everything i needed off parallax for my stamp to work. Everything worked fine for about 3 months. Went to dl FTDI driver and i already have it downloaded. I am stumped here and think i might have to send stamp back to parallax.
    edited 2011-11-16 16:46
    Andy - did you work through the "trouble shooting" link to make sure your USB port hasn't changed configuration?
    edited 2011-11-16 20:16
    You could give Parallax Tech Support a call, but keep in mind that Stamps (including the HomeWork Board) don't just stop working. The Stamps are pretty robust. Usually something happens to break them.