Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Ignore IR Signals — Parallax Forums

Ignore IR Signals

shatterst0rmshatterst0rm Posts: 4
edited 2011-11-19 05:23 in Robotics
In my engineering course we have to modify a boe-bot to be the best time around the course. Everyone is using the IR Remote code. I've changed the multibot code to use different keys then the initial program used but I'm trying to figure out how to block out interference. Is there something I can put at the beginning of the program before the DO that ignores the codes of the other buttons but the ones that I'm using?

Thanks,
Mark

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2011-11-16 10:38
    If I understand you correctly, the short answer is no. All 38 kHz IR signals will overlap and confuse your sensor and code. This includes other remotes, as well as some IR proximity sensors. I tried 56 kHz receivers, but they still get jammed by the sheer intensity of 38 kHz remote signals.
  • shatterst0rmshatterst0rm Posts: 4
    edited 2011-11-16 10:50
    Ok. Is there a way to program the case code so that if it receives two remote codes that it will do it. For example my forward is play, but I'm pressing play and they are pressing 2 then it'll still do the stuff for that case.

I was thinking:

Case play, play and else, but it won't let me do that. If I put play in, the software asks for a binary or a ")" which I don't understand.
    edited 2011-11-16 11:00
    Depends. The remotes are not synced to each other and their pulses may overlap. The codes keep repeating, so they keep jamming each other. Occasionally at random, they may cleanly alternate and you might be able to read them, but there is no guarantee. Check out the info on the Sony protocol at http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/compshop/IRremoteAppKit.pdf
    edited 2011-11-16 11:13
    Is there a way to write the case code so that it includes two codes as one case? In my previous post I said I tried but it kept failing.
    edited 2011-11-16 12:56
    Post your code so people can see and offer help.
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2011-11-16 14:56
    Is there a way to write the case code so that it includes two codes as one case?
    I don't think your problem is you are receiving two codes but that the two codes are garbling each other and the received information is noise not a code (or two)
    edited 2011-11-16 17:11
    In my engineering course we have to modify a boe-bot to be the best time around the course.
    Thanks,
    Mark

Are you manually driving the BoeBot using an IR remote, or is it autonomously following a route? Remember that if you use IR sensors for proximity sensing for autonomous mode, you can be jammed by someone pointing an IR remote at your sensors.
    edited 2011-11-18 09:01
    Driving with an IR remote.
    edited 2011-11-18 09:05
    Mark: Please clarify. Are you asking if there is a way to block out other people with the same type of IR remote, just using different keys to activate?

Or, are you trying to block out certain keys on your own remote so they don't do anything?
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2011-11-18 17:39
    Mark,

Is using the IR remote a requirement?

Ron Czapala wrote some code to use one of the SparkFun FOBs with a BS2.

08602-3.jpg

It uses a 2.4GHz transceiver.

Just an idea, in case the IR noise problem can't be solved.
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2011-11-19 05:23
    Those FOBs are out of stock.

The XBees available from Parallax work great.
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?131098-Cypherbot/page3 (see Reply #51)