Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Bought new computer and now editor wont identify the board — Parallax Forums

Bought new computer and now editor wont identify the board

SkoorbSkoorb Posts: 42
edited 2011-11-18 17:12 in BASIC Stamp
I bought a new machine and installed Editor v 2.5.2. I'm using the same generic USB to Serial adapter, same board same stamp, same code... But my editor wont identify the board. I get "no echo no loopback" when I attempt to identify. Any ideas??

Comments

• SkoorbSkoorb Posts: 42
    edited 2011-11-14 18:48
    The new machine is running Windows 7 and required me to go find and download drivers for the USB/serial adapter, the old machine ran XP sp3 and accepted the adapter without downloading drivers. Dont know if that makes a difference..
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-11-14 20:38
    Skoorb,

Welcome to the forum!

I think you will need to delete whatever USB/serial drivers you installed and start over with the FTDI drivers from Parallax's website.

-Phil
    edited 2011-11-15 06:10
    Skoorb,

Welcome to the forum!

I think you will need to delete whatever USB/serial drivers you installed and start over with the FTDI drivers from Parallax's website.

-Phil

I'll give it a try again tonight, but last night when I initially installed 2.5.2, the Parallax drivers wouldnt recognize the generic USB/serial cable.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-11-15 08:01
    Oh. I assumed you were using a Parallax-provided USB converter. You may be out of luck with the generic variety.

-Phil
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-11-15 08:27
    The Parallax drivers are for a specific manufacturer's chips (FTDI) and won't work with other manufacturers' adapters. You'll need to install the drivers for your "generic" USB to serial adapter. Keep in mind that the default Windows drivers for USB to serial adapters won't work for programming either the Stamps or the Propeller. For that matter, they probably won't work for other microcontrollers as well. You always need the original manufacturer's drivers.

The issue is that many "cheap" USB to serial adapters don't completely implement some of the control lines like DTR which Parallax uses for programming their microcontrollers.
    edited 2011-11-15 10:48
    Mike Green wrote: »
    The Parallax drivers are for a specific manufacturer's chips (FTDI) and won't work with other manufacturers' adapters. You'll need to install the drivers for your "generic" USB to serial adapter. Keep in mind that the default Windows drivers for USB to serial adapters won't work for programming either the Stamps or the Propeller. For that matter, they probably won't work for other microcontrollers as well. You always need the original manufacturer's drivers.

The issue is that many "cheap" USB to serial adapters don't completely implement some of the control lines like DTR which Parallax uses for programming their microcontrollers.

I'll check the old laptop driver for comparison. The this very same setup worked fine with XP sp3 and whatever drivers XP had by default and XP recognized and used the USB/serial adapter without any hiccups. There's been no change at all in the configuration of the Stamp equipment.

Does the parallax USB/serial adapter work with Windows 7?
  • hover1hover1 Posts: 1,929
    edited 2011-11-15 11:46
    Skoorb wrote: »
    I'll check the old laptop driver for comparison. The this very same setup worked fine with XP sp3 and whatever drivers XP had by default and XP recognized and used the USB/serial adapter without any hiccups. There's been no change at all in the configuration of the Stamp equipment.

Does the parallax USB/serial adapter work with Windows 7?

Absolutely! With the:

http://www.parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/PropellerAccessories/tabid/786/CategoryID/85/List/0/SortField/0/catpageindex/2/Level/a/ProductID/398/Default.aspx

. I use it with Windows 7 32 Bit and 64 Bit

Jim
    edited 2011-11-17 20:03
    Looks like I'm ourt of luck. I plugged everything into the old laptop and it ran like a champ. However the usb drivers were plain jane windows drivers with little information given. Seems that my generic USB/serial adapter just wont work with the combination of Windows 7 and the Stamp Editor.

I'll order a new adapter from parallax tomorrow.
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2011-11-18 06:32
    Try running the Stamp IDE as "Administrator". By default, Windows XP give all user accounts administrator level access to hardware, which isn't the case with Windows 7. You need administrator privileges to access the serial port.

To run as administrator, right-click the Stamp IDE shortcut and choose "Run as Administrator", or select Properties for the shortcut and look for the same setting.

Note that you'll also need to do this with other programs that access the serial port, such as Putty.
    edited 2011-11-18 06:52
    Thanks Kevin, I didnt know that! I'll give it a shot this weekend and report back.
    edited 2011-11-18 17:03
    Soooooo, do I quietly let this thread die off? Or do I admit my incredibly boneheaded error to the world???

Yeah, I have no shame so here goes...

It's been so long since I've played with this dev board, that I've been plugging the USB/RS232 adapter into the WRONG 9 pin D-connector all this time. Clever of me to use the port labeled "RS232 Interface" instead of "DOWNLOAD" dontcha think?

Problem solved!!

Facepalm*
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-11-18 17:12
    Good ... Now that you're ready to go, you'll feel so inspired that you'll do a great project that you'll post here so we can say ooh and aah and great.