Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Gyroscope Module 3-Axis L3G4200D (#27911) questions — Parallax Forums

Gyroscope Module 3-Axis L3G4200D (#27911) questions

Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,175
edited 2011-11-14 07:53 in Accessories
Hello!
According to a pair of books on gyroscopes I had read a longish time ago, there are two types of gyroscope. One is called a rate gyro, and the other is called an integrating gyroscope. Now I've never been able to sort out the distinctions between the two, but what sort is the device, Gyroscope Module 3-Axis L3G4200D (#27911) there, by name?

Of course according to the Internet and even Wikipedia, the two are related, and typically the Integrating Gyro is also a Hermetically sealed Integrating Gyroscope, and was extremely reliable. But that was ages ago before the MEMS revolution in technology that also produced our Accelerometer by way of example.

Comments

• Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,557
    edited 2011-11-13 18:20
    Buck Rogers,

Both of the Gyro's that we sell, the L3G4200D, and the LISY300 provide an angular rate value for their raw output. An integrating gyroscope will automatically 'integrate' the angular rate against it's own precision time base to produce an accurate displacement value. You can however integrate in software, but this method is not as accurate as gyros that do this automatically.

Here is a thread that shows one method of software integration...
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?127868-Gyro-lisy300
  • Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,175
    edited 2011-11-13 19:52
    Buck Rogers,

Both of the Gyro's that we sell, the L3G4200D, and the LISY300 provide an angular rate value for their raw output. An integrating gyroscope will automatically 'integrate' the angular rate against it's own precision time base to produce an accurate displacement value. You can however integrate in software, but this method is not as accurate as gyros that do this automatically.

Here is a thread that shows one method of software integration...
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?127868-Gyro-lisy300

Hello!
    Indeed. I selected the L3G4200D, simply because its the one currently in stock at Radio Shack. (I bought it from the only store in Manhattan, yesterday.) The books I was referring to earlier were "basics of gyroscopes" by Carl Machover, originally written in 1960. In the two books he describes the way the two work. Visit this page from Amazon for further insight http://www.amazon.com/mn/search/ref=sr_nr_p_n_feature_browse-b_mrr_0?rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3Acarl+machover%2Cp_n_feature_browse-bin%3A2656022011&bbn=283155&keywords=carl+machover&ie=UTF8&qid=1321241983&rnid=618072011

Anyway I freely admit that the one I have performs along the lines of the rate gyro. And definitely not the integrating gyro type.

Now I'm busy trying to wrap my mind around the propeller example. I can see the pin numbers in the example. But they the same as the P numbers on the USB proto board for the device? That's the next step here.

Although I am also wondering about how to have the example present data for logic to process further.
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,557
    edited 2011-11-13 23:59
    Buck Rogers,

If I understand your question, it shouldn't matter, since you can define the pins in software to whatever your hardware needs are.

As far as "...presenting the data for logic to process any further", We need a better definition to what it is that you want to accomplish.

Side Note:
    I personally have not had a chance to experience our 3-axis Gyro, but instead, I have had an opportunity with our single axis Gyro. However the operation principle is the same and how you deal with the raw data should be very similar. ... just three of them. :-)
  • Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,175
    edited 2011-11-14 07:53
    Buck Rogers,

If I understand your question, it shouldn't matter, since you can define the pins in software to whatever your hardware needs are.

As far as "...presenting the data for logic to process any further", We need a better definition to what it is that you want to accomplish.

Side Note:
    I personally have not had a chance to experience our 3-axis Gyro, but instead, I have had an opportunity with our single axis Gyro. However the operation principle is the same and how you deal with the raw data should be very similar. ... just three of them. :-)

Hello!
    There are I go again. I keep forgetting that not everyone here thinks the way I do. I originally got into using the Stamp 1, when we were still putting up with the insanity of Yahoo Groups for our questions and answers. Then I used the stamp to facilitate better methods to resolve the digital logic problems I would layout. Then when you made arrangements to send me that Stamp 2, I moved into doing the same with it. About the time that gyro was announced, (and available from the company) but before the deal with RS was announced, I had planned on applying its output to provide a presence if you would have that, to these logic problems. So far I've done the same with the RFID sensor, but the gyro leaves more to the imagination then the RFID one. (serial output one not the USB attached one.)

About the same time as both the deal was announced, and the Maker Faire here in Queens happened, I had an inspired idea to apply both to a BOE-Bot and have it wearing tracks as opposed to wheels. Sadly do to cost constraints I've only gotten the gyro. I'm not sure when the BOE-Bot kit and the track accessory will be ordered.

There we go, I can't present anything else because I do not want to confuse any other reader who is not at all familiar with me.