Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Gyroscope Module 3-Axis L3G4200D (#27911) program works — Parallax Forums

Gyroscope Module 3-Axis L3G4200D (#27911) program works

Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,181
edited 2011-11-13 17:48 in BASIC Stamp
Hello!
Just thought I'd announce that the program for the device as downloaded from the website works on the BS2 I have without complaint. Either from the Stamp or from the Gyro. I reassembled everything for the BS2 on the board I'm using for it, and then connected it to the board I use for building circuits and connected P0 and P1 to the points on the Gyro. Then with power turned on I told the editor to run the program. It got downloaded and a debug terminal was shown. It showed the position of the table and updated itself accordingly. Then I moved the board. The program indicated in 3D space the relative positions of the board.
This gyro was bought from the Radio Shack in Manhattan on 3rd Avenue by 53rd street (940 3rd Avenue), one of the stores in the city who sells some of the Parallax items moving to Radio Shack.

My only complaint is that pins are slightly wider then the integrated circuit pins that normally go into the board so its something of a tight squeeze to get the gyro on the board. Further discussions will take place in the sensors portion of the board, but I thought everyone else who struggles with the thing would like to know.

Comments

• hover1hover1 Posts: 1,929
    edited 2011-11-13 16:11

My only complaint is that pins are slightly wider then the integrated circuit pins that normally go into the board so its something of a tight squeeze to get the gyro on the board. Further discussions will take place in the sensors portion of the board, but I thought everyone else who struggles with the thing would like to know.

Buck,

The square .025 pins on the Gyro board are meant for a breadboard. If you are going to solder it into a permanent board, you need to have a plated through hole of at least .032 ID.

Square peg, round hole.
  • Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,181
    edited 2011-11-13 17:48
    hover1 wrote: »
    Buck,

The square .025 pins on the Gyro board are meant for a breadboard. If you are going to solder it into a permanent board, you need to have a plated through hole of at least .032 ID.

Square peg, round hole.

Hello!
    I would tend to agree. That big bread board was the so-called Universal Breadboard that RS was selling for a while, and its what I normally build the things that the stamps talk to on. I've since moved the gyro to a smaller board, this is the same style as the one used by the stamp. It gives me more freedom of movement. In fact when turned on the numbers are read out with minus signs in front of them. Then as this breadboard wearing the gyro is slowly spun around, the numbers spiral around and thence we (or I) see positive numbers shown.

Now the problem is that of working out how to have the thing create meaningful data that logic can further interpret and make use of. For that we can take the discussion into the sensors one.