Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
$1000 Hero 2000/Newark NJ - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

$1000 Hero 2000/Newark NJ

2»

Comments

• BamseBamse Posts: 561
    edited 2011-11-15 21:05
    @ Robert,

I would be interested in restoring it on a small budget as in $200-300, this does not include the arm...
    It seem to me that I have most of the circuit boards except the ones on top. I have the top cover and two side covers.

Do you think a budget of $200-300 is reasonable ?
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2011-11-15 23:13
    Good call, Bamse! I regretted my suggestion to gut it right after you started to agree with me. It may never be a "killer" robot (chassis limitations), but IMHO it's worth more in its original configuration. Robert is a square dealer and will hook you up with everything you need.
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2011-11-16 14:07
    Bamse wrote: »
    @ Robert,

I would be interested in restoring it on a small budget as in $200-300, this does not include the arm...
    It seem to me that I have most of the circuit boards except the ones on top. I have the top cover and two side covers.

Do you think a budget of $200-300 is reasonable ?

You should definitely be able to get it working for that. It looks like all the boards are there but the keyboard needs some TLC. I have some parts keyboards so that one could be rebuilt. I'm not sure how many spare keycaps I have left. Probably have enough to replace the missing ones but they may need new labels. You'll also need a new set of batteries. One of the best configurations is to use a single 12v 7ah f1 terminal battery for the motors and two 6v 4.5ah f1 terminal batteries for the logic. One logic battery goes on the head and the other in the base.

I would pull the whole robot apart, wash everything (wheels,chassis parts, boards, etc) and then start re-assemble the whole robot. If you get stuck anywhere let me know and I can help.

Robert
    edited 2011-11-16 14:16
    My Hero 2000 is safely tucked away in a closet, but Hero 1 is out in the open and our 2-year old twin girls just LOVE to press those big keys on top. I keep meaning to put him out of harm's way before they wear out the keys, but they really get a kick out of it (he's off, so there's no LEDs or electronic feedback) and thus far they are quite gentle. One day I'll fire him up so they can see what he does. They also play with Hero Jr, quite functional and sitting beside Hero 1. Junior spouts off regularly with rhymes and quotes, they enjoy pressing his little rubber keys somewhat. But something about the tactile feedback of those Hero 1 keyboard-style keys that keeps them coming back for more.
  • BamseBamse Posts: 561
    edited 2011-11-17 19:49
    Let me put my Hero in storage until I got time to restore it.

For $200-300 it would be worth restoring it...
    Thanks for confirming it's doable...
  • DudemanDudeman Posts: 1
    edited 2011-12-13 20:03
    I have a non-functional Hero 2000 that needs a good home. He appears to be gutted (board wise) but has his busway intact. I live in Colorado and am willing to ship in the CONUS. Please let me know if you are interested and I will send pictures so you can assess the condition he is in.
    edited 2011-12-13 20:09
    Sure, please post pics here or start a new thread. Robert (Robotworkshop) keeps Heros going!
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2011-12-13 20:11
    Dudeman wrote: »
    I have a non-functional Hero 2000 that needs a good home. He appears to be gutted (board wise) but has his busway intact. I live in Colorado and am willing to ship in the CONUS. Please let me know if you are interested and I will send pictures so you can assess the condition he is in.

That would be great. I have spare boards so it could be put back together again!

Robert
  • wjsteelewjsteele Posts: 697
    edited 2011-12-14 09:42
    Dudeman wrote: »

Hi Dudeman,

Personally, I'd love to have it. That'd be a great start for me!

Bill
    edited 2011-12-14 10:05