Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
A little confused at Robot pricing..... — Parallax Forums

A little confused at Robot pricing.....

WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
edited 2011-11-11 12:44 in Robotics
I keep seeing an article for the Elektor Proton Robot in Elektor magazine and I keep getting stumped at the pricing. I have been meaning to post this for a while now and finally remembered when I saw it in the latest issue again. It has some really cool features for a small robot. However, how does anyone justify the $1,745 for the kit or $2,375 for an assembled robot with it's feature list? What am I missing?

https://www.elektor.com/projects/elektor-proton-robot.1772441.lynkx

ps. It does say that it is limited to a run of 50 robots. Does that make it extra special?

ProtonRobot.jpg
250 x 300 - 33K

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2011-11-10 02:09
    It does say that it is limited to a run of 50 robots. Does that make it extra special?

ProtonRobot.jpg

Great question. I guess you really pay for exclusivity in Europe, mais oui?
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2011-11-10 08:14
    I don't like the gripper design. It looks like it can grab, but can't lift, that limits its usefulness.

My gut feel is that those robots are headed for a shelf to gather dust. Anyone with the skills to use all of its features has the skills to build their own for much less money.
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2011-11-10 10:11
    Hehe, the price was so low I bought two!

Seriously, these types of robots for classroom instruction tend to be really expensive. They're more for controlled curriculum than hobby use, and as the teachers aren't always well versed in all things robotics, they'll spend more to have something complete. I'm sure they're provided to Elektor at a distributor discount, who ups the margin by 40% or so, making the wholesale price about $1200, give or take. That would be my guess.

I recognize several of the pieces he's using. The motor drive components are from Devantech, and costs about $150. It uses three Sharp IR sensors at about $15 each, an SRF02 ultrasonic sensor that goes for about $15, etc. The "face board" is a custom PCB, and given the size I imagine it probably costs $30-40. The body is machined cast acrylic, with a custom bend job for the clear plastic -- probably costs $45-65 for just the body. The gripper pieces are from Lynxmotion, and they go for $20 each, including the HS-422 servos ($40 for the pair). If you consider the scale of some of its components (the wheels are about 4" in diameter), the robot is actually quite large.

$1,700+ seems like a lot, and most any of us could build this for less, but not a heck of a lot less (maybe $500-700), not including engineering time.

-- Gordon
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2011-11-10 15:21
    The PDF file states he spent 2 years developing it. What price would you put on your 2-year prodigy?
    edited 2011-11-10 16:09
    Humanoido wrote: »
    The PDF file states he spent 2 years developing it. What price would you put on your 2-year prodigy?

Make me an offer on this pair of two year old prodigies! :)
    960 x 720 - 94K
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2011-11-10 16:30
    erco wrote: »
    Make me an offer on this pair of two year old prodigies! :)
    Haha Erco, you know some things in life are so valuable they have no price! For the same reason it's not possible to sell the Earth, Moon, or your two little celestial wonders.
  • Tony B.Tony B. Posts: 356
    edited 2011-11-11 04:53
    @ Erco

New BOE-BOT $149.00

New EDDIE Bot $999.00

Time with his two precious little Girls $PRICELESS

My, how fast they grow-up. It seems just like yesterday they were born and you were sharing videos with us. How blessed by God you are my friend.
    Tony
    edited 2011-11-11 12:44
    So true Tony! They are great little time suckers, but I wouldn't have it any other way! :)