Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
cable lenth for Ping))) Module — Parallax Forums

cable lenth for Ping))) Module

lincolnlincoln Posts: 23
edited 2011-11-10 22:56 in Accessories
Hello,
Assuming local filtered power, How long a cable can I use before transmission line effects will start to cause error in a distance reading? Basically I want to use the sensor remotely (talking 4 to 6 feet of wire). I can provide filter caps and inductor so that the dc supply remains stable during high current draw. The wire i have is ether shielded 22 awg or RG-174. I do have an o-scope so i can play around with termination impedance. The target environment should not have any EMF above normal background (ie its not car mounted) Any thoughts?

thank you for your time.

link

Comments

• Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
    edited 2011-11-08 18:15
    Hi Lincoln -
    I'm not sure what the maximum length is, but I think I've used a 10' cable before.

Let's get Chris to chime in on this one - his middle name is "ping"...

Chris?

-Matt
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2011-11-09 10:02
    I would recommend a shielded cable if you're going to go up to 10 feet or so. I would really be able to speculate on longer lengths, though I wouldn't recommend them without buffers/drivers.
  • lincolnlincoln Posts: 23
    edited 2011-11-10 16:03
    Thank you Gentleman,
    I got the last of the hardware that I needed, will report back.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2011-11-10 22:56
    Yes, please let us know how your project works out and any issues you may encounter. Some things like this have a lot of variables and it's a new experience for us all each time.