Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Did I blow my BS2pe Chip?: Issues, questions.. — Parallax Forums

Did I blow my BS2pe Chip?: Issues, questions..

SydSyd Posts: 13
edited 2011-11-08 14:43 in BASIC Stamp
Hi Everyone,
Below is my situation:

I was trying the code below (with the corresponding attached diagram), and I suspect I may have blown the BS2pe. Currently, the BS2pe gets really "hot to the touch" (actually, to hot to touch within a few seconds). Is there some way I can verify that the BS2pe is working or not?

In the attached diagram, it shows that:

1. I must attach a wire from Pin 4 and 8 to Vdd
2. I must tie/connect Pin 2 to Pin 6
3. I must attach Pin 1 to Vss
4. Essentially, I constructed the circuit as shown (with the 220 ohm resistor, 1k ohm resistor, 0.1uF, and 10K ohm potentiometer) and all the connections to Vdd and Vss as shown. Was I on the right track?

Furthermore, from the diagram, does PIN 15 in the code correspond to pin 15 on the Basic Stamp (BS2pe)? Or does PIN 15 in the code correspond to pin 3 of the basic stamp?

Finally, I measured .5V dc on the Pin which provides the input signal to the BS2pe(not to sure if that is Pin 15 or Pin 3). Is this voltage to high for the basic stamp? Are there any current requirements (the manual mentions 20mA)?
Thanks.

Syd

REF:
Below is the code (and attached is the corresponding diagram) for a circuit that accepts a digital signal on an input pin and provides the frequency:

'
[ I/O Definitions ]
FreqIn PIN 15 ' frequency input pin
'
[ Constants ]
OneSec CON 1000 ' capture window = 1 sec
'
[ Variables ]
cycles VAR Word ' counted cycles
'
[ Program Code ]
Main:
DO
COUNT FreqIn, OneSec, cycles ' count for 1 second
DEBUG HOME,
"Frequency: ", DEC cycles, " Hz" ' display
LOOP

schematic.pdf

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-11-07 23:39
    When talking about I/O pins, I/O pins 0-7 correspond to module pins 5-12 while I/O pins 8-15 correspond to module pins 13-20. Figure 1.16 on page 28 of the Basic Stamp Syntax and Reference Manual shows the module pinout.

How do you have your module connected? What's the supply voltage?

To check the module, the best way is to disconnect everything except the connection to the PC and the supply voltage, then see if the Stamp Editor will identify the module. You can even write a simple little program that just outputs to the Editor's debug window, like:
    '  {$STAMP BS2pe}
    '  {$PBASIC 2.5}
    Start:
    DEBUG "Hello There",CR
    PAUSE 5000
    GOTO Start
    END

• SydSyd Posts: 13
    edited 2011-11-08 09:25
    Hi Mike,
    Let me try to take a stab at this again. So from the schematic:
    1. The 555 timer is internal to the BS2pe.
    2. I/O pins 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, and 8 of the BS2pe correspond to the pins used to activate the 555 timer (they are not internal. i.e. for example, Vdd is not automatically wired to I/O pin 4. Which implies that I have to physically run a wire from I/O pin 4 to Vdd ).

Please let me know if my trend of thought is correct/wrong.

All said, from the manual, P15 is internally wired to pin 20 of the module. However, on the attached schematic, why is there a connection between PIN 15 and 3? I am using the "board of education". Would I have to run a wire from I/O 15 to I/O 3 (or rather simply hook my input signal to P15 and don't )?

REF: The source code and diagram can be found in the "StampWorks experiments and basic stamp source code v2.1 pg 101"
    http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/books/sw/Web-SW-v2.1.pdf
  • hover1hover1 Posts: 1,929
    edited 2011-11-08 09:50
    Syd wrote: »
    Hi Mike,
    Let me try to take a stab at this again. So from the schematic:
    1. The 555 timer is internal to the BS2pe.
    2. I/O pins 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, and 8 of the BS2pe correspond to the pins used to activate the 555 timer (they are not internal. i.e. for example, Vdd is not automatically wired to I/O pin 4. Which implies that I have to physically run a wire from I/O pin 4 to Vdd ).

Please let me know if my trend of thought is correct/wrong.

All said, from the manual, P15 is internally wired to pin 20 of the module. However, on the attached schematic, why is there a connection between PIN 15 and 3? I am using the "board of education". Would I have to run a wire from I/O 15 to I/O 3 (or rather simply hook my input signal to P15 and don't )?

REF: The source code and diagram can be found in the "StampWorks experiments and basic stamp source code v2.1 pg 101"
    http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/books/sw/Web-SW-v2.1.pdf

1. The 555 Timer is an external chip and is NOT on the Basic Stamp chip. It is a extra chip included in the parts list of the StampWorks kit.

If you wired your BS2pe according to the schematic on page 101, (assuming you thought the 555 was onboard), I afraid you may have fried your chip. You have applied 5 volt to the VSS pin, and grounded the SOUT pin.

Not sure if connecting the SIN to P1 would do any damage, but it's not advisable.

You can find the Basic Stamp2pe layout on page 487 of the Basic Stamp Manual, and the page that Mike pointed out.
    edited 2011-11-08 09:55
    1) There is no 555 timer internal to the BS2pe. You have to plug one into the little breadboard area on the Board of Education (BOE) and wire it up.

2) All of the parts and wiring shown on page 101 are to be made in the breadboard area on the BOE. The connection to P15 is to be made to the socket on the side of the breadboard area. The BOE takes care of connecting that socket pin to the appropriate place on the BS2pe module (you can follow the connection on the printed circuit board if you want).

The numbers shown around the 555 block on page 101 are the pin numbers of the 555 timer IC. As with all ICs, looking down on the IC from above with the notch or dot on top (or upper left corner), the numbers start on the upper left, wrap around at the bottom of the IC and end at the upper right corner.

You have to make connections labelled Vdd and Vss to the corresponding sockets at the top of the breadboard area.

The BS2pe should be plugged into the 24-pin socket on the BOE on the left side of the board under the Parallax logo.
    edited 2011-11-08 12:34
    Thanks once again for all your replies. I was able to successfully program a test script to the BS2pe.

For some reason my kit did not have the 555 timer. In any case I obtained an NE555 timer and build the circuit as shown on the schematic. However, when I hook an input signal to PIN 15 the "RX" led on the debug screen/terminal stops blinking. When I disconnect the signal, it starts blinking once more. I have looked over the circuit several times and everything looks just fine. With my previous "mis-configurations" in mind, does this mean that my module is blown?

-Syd
    edited 2011-11-08 12:59
    Thanks once again for all your replies. I was able to successfully program a test script to the BS2pe.

For some reason my kit did not have the 555 timer. In any case I obtained an NE555 timer and build the circuit as shown on the schematic. However, when I hook an input signal to PIN 15 the "RX" led on the debug screen/terminal stops blinking. When I disconnect the signal, it starts blinking once more. I have looked over the circuit several times and everything looks just fine. With my previous "mis-configurations" in mind, does this mean that my module is blown?

-Syd

As Mike said in Post#2, The "P" designation in the schematic does not correspond with the pin number on the chip. In this case, P15 corresponds to physical pin20 on the BS2pe.

Please recheck page 487 of the Basic Stamp Manual. It show the pinouts and the names of the pins.
    edited 2011-11-08 13:12
    The circuit shown on page 101 of the StampWorks Manual does work. An NE555 timer is just one brand of 555 timers and should work. Your BS2pe seems to work. What's left ... probably your wiring. Somehow, something you're connecting is wrong. Connecting a signal between 0V and 5V to I/O pin 15 should not cause the Stamp to shut down as it seems to be doing. Even misconnecting such a signal to BS2pe module pin 15 shouldn't cause what you're seeing since that's just I/O pin 10. Please re-read my post #5. Perhaps you could take a clear closeup picture of your wiring and post it with a reply. Use the Go Advanced button when you post and you'll see instructions for posting attachments like a digital photo file.

This thread really belongs in the Stamp forum, so it'll get moved there
    edited 2011-11-08 13:14
    Yes, I've taken a look at the manual, indeed P15 corresponds to pin 20 on the BS2pe module. So I have hooked P15 (again, which is internally connected to pin 15 on the BS2pe module) to pin 3 of the 555 timer. However, I now have a digital signal coming into the board, and I have no idea where to connect it. This is the original signal that I would like to find its frequency. Should I connect it to the "trigger" or the "control" input of the 555 timer?

-Syd
    edited 2011-11-08 14:16
    You really have to read the StampWorks Manual. The whole 555 circuit is there to provide a signal for the Stamp to measure. If you want to measure an external signal, the details of how to do it depend on the signal ... what voltage ... what shape to the waveform, etc. If the signal is already a digital pulse stream with pulses ranging from 0V to 5V, then you can connect it to the Stamp I/O pin you're using. I'd put a 220 Ohm resistor in series with the I/O pin, just in case you're wrong about the signal levels.
    edited 2011-11-08 14:43
    So I have hooked P15 (again, which is internally connected to pin 15 on the BS2pe module)

-Syd

Your not making any sense. P15 is not hooker to pin 15.

It seems your not getting the relationship of the "P" designation and a "PIN" designation. A "P" in PBasic is a virtual I/O pin, not a physical pin.

As you can see in the picture, which I referred to earlier, P15 is an physical pin 20.

BS2pe.png
    526 x 654 - 84K