Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Helping choose wireless connection for specific project — Parallax Forums

Helping choose wireless connection for specific project

SfrobotSfrobot Posts: 12
edited 2011-11-14 04:11 in Accessories
Hello and thx for reading my message. Well about my issue. First of all sorry for following stupid question is my first time in wireless connections.
I am trying to make my boe-bot wireless for a specific project. I want it to be controlled by pc (give and receive informations) as well as running new programs in it. With few words i want my boe bot to do everything i could do with my wire on pc without it. I know i should use Xbee for it but do i need Flashfly too? Havent bought anything yet so a different idea is also welcome.

I would also like to add ping)) on it, so i want my wireless connection to be able to sent/receive informations from it too.

Sorry again for silly questions.
cheers
Sfrobot

Comments

• sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2011-11-07 09:24
    If all that you want to do is to send and receive information a pair of matched XBee units will do just fine.
    If by "running new programs in it" you mean that you want to be able to reprogram your boe-bot through a wireless connection, then yes, you'll need the Flashfly stuff as well.

As for the Ping, you'll send the information from the Ping to the boe-bot's processor, which will then in turn send it through the XBee link, so that's not an issue. If you for some reason mean that you'd like to send the Ping's output directly through the XBee, that's not going to work. The Ping communicates through timed series of pulses, and the XBee sends data by its own methods, not simply reproducing pulses on a wire connected to it.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2011-11-07 09:44
    To add to sylvie369's suggestion, I'd go with one of the XBee Educational Adatpers http://www.parallax.com/Store/Accessories/CommunicationRF/tabid/161/ProductID/691/List/0/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName and the USB Adapter http://www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/643/Default.aspx?txtSearch=XBee+usb+adapter if you don't also need wireless programming. From what you describe, these two parts seem to be the best solution plus a couple of XBee modules.
  • SfrobotSfrobot Posts: 12
    edited 2011-11-07 11:19
    i read what u said guys and thanks for the answers.... but i still have some questions! Now i get how Xbee works so buying XBee 1mW PCB Antenna (XB24-API-001) requires (recomments) to get XBee SIP Adapter for easier use. So if we forget about wireless programming and stay with wireless communication doesnt Easy Bluetooth Module http://www.parallax.com/Store/Accessories/CommunicationRF/tabid/161/CategoryID/36/List/0/SortField/0/Level/a/ProductID/550/Default.aspx works better? Which one you recomment? the set of xBees or the easy bluetooth?
    Main difference is that xbee can communicate within a mile when bluetooth within 30m max?
    thx for your patient!

Sfrobot

(i am correct about how xbee works right?)
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-11-08 09:43
    The main reason for using Bluetooth instead of xBee is that most PCs now have a Bluetooth adapter built into them so you only need a Bluetooth adapter on the Stamp side of things. xBee is a little simpler to use and has more range. You won't get a 1 mile range with the 1mW xBee, but you'll get more than 30m. PCs don't have built-in xBee adapters, so you'll need an xBee adapter on the PC as well.
    edited 2011-11-08 11:42
    Thanks Mike!
    Its been few days i am reading and understading xbee and easy bluetooth programs and i find it a bit the same at this point! But ofc you know something better.
    Range doesnt matter for what i am going to do, but following what u said i will go with xbees ;]]
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-11-08 13:17
    With the xBees, you can do all the configuration on your PC using Digi's xBee utility program. The configuration gets stored on the xBee module and, when you power it up, it automatically goes into data mode and behaves just like a wired connection. Neither the Stamp nor the PC has to do any further configuration at that point.
    edited 2011-11-09 04:14
    Ow so bluetooth has to be refind accepted connected and etc. but xbee has only to be programmed and accepted from pc once and from then everytime i use it its like its wire, meaning that u dont have to do further configurations like reading the input, which i quess must be needed from Easy bluetooth. right?
  • max72max72 Posts: 1,155
    edited 2011-11-13 05:23
    Sorry for being late to the party..
    I'm using Xbee a lot, because it is extremely easy. There is a great object available for the propeller, too.
    If you have COG constraints you can use the 4 serial ports in 1 COG object in place of the full duplex serial used in the demo. I guess I can post the modifications ("guess" because sometimes I'm chaotic..), but the changes are small.
    Anyway a couple of suggestion:
    The Xbee modules have an odd 2mm in place of the usual 2.54mm/100mils. So for breaboarding, or with vero/perf boards or any prototype board you need an adapter for each module. The 32403 module is 3$, reusable, so grab them.
    Moreover of you go for custom PCBs remember to order the 2mm sockets!!
    It is also highly recommended 1 USB adapter (part #32400). It is a good solution for early stage debugging, and to solve issues if you mess with the setup and permanently store the data.
    If you connect the bot to the PC and USB adapter is almost mandatory.

The modules offer great fun, are perfect for your task, and if you dig you'll find a lot of nice features offering room for improvements, forks, new projects and even more fun...

As you can guess I'm really happy of my Xbees... :-)
    Massimo
    edited 2011-11-13 08:26
    thx massimo,
    can you explain me the main differences between $3 adapter and XBee SIP Adapter ? easier to program i guess?
    edited 2011-11-13 12:34
    Xbee modules require 3.3V and have 2mm pin spacing.
    Propeller is 3.3V so the only bottleneck is the pin spacing. The 3$ adapter takes care of that.
    If you have a 5V power supply you need a 3.3 regulator and taqke care of voltade difference when transmitting signals.
    The SIP and the 5V/3.3V adapters provide pin spacing adapter, 3.3V regulator and voltage translator for the signals.
    One comes fully assembled and the other requires assembly time.
    Massimo
    edited 2011-11-13 12:44
    I forgot..
    I have not experience with basic stamp programming via Xbee, but I guess you need the flashfly.
    With the Propeller it is possible..
    Massimo
    edited 2011-11-14 04:11
    Actually flashfly is for reprogramming , not receiving and senting informations, just to run a new program to the board. I think, can someone confirm that please?