Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
need Thermistor programming help — Parallax Forums

need Thermistor programming help

cmc074cmc074 Posts: 4
edited 2011-11-09 14:26 in BASIC Stamp
I have a 10k ohm thermistor and need a program to measure air temp. Also I am having trouble with the circuit can anyone help me out I am lost!!!

Thanks

Comments

• LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2011-11-04 22:22
    A thermistor is just about one of the easiest devices to use with the BasicStamp. Take a look at the RCTime examples in the BasicStamp Syntax and Reference Manual => page 363. Just use the thermistor instead of a potentiometer - 10K ohms is a good size.

After you get your circuit built, you will have to calibrate DEBUG readings against a thermometer in order to get temperature conversions into a formula.
  • dredre Posts: 106
    edited 2011-11-05 07:49
    Hi,
    Would this help [page 33] ?:

http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/appnt/stamps/bs1Appnotes.pdf

There is also a Parallax resource for converting BS1 code to BS2.

cheers, David
  • piguy101piguy101 Posts: 248
    edited 2011-11-08 17:23
    It's really easy to get a number related to temperature, but what is really difficult is converting that to useful measurements. (Celsius, Fahrenheit) The formula to convert the number usually requires log or ln or crazy small numbers with very high powers after them.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-11-09 14:26
    piguy101 wrote: »
    It's really easy to get a number related to temperature, but what is really difficult is converting that to useful measurements. (Celsius, Fahrenheit) The formula to convert the number usually requires log or ln or crazy small numbers with very high powers after them.

Curve fitting is quite possible once several data points are calibrated. Alternatively, there's a nice technique shown in the code at

http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/acc/SharpGP2D12Snrs.pdf for interpolating between data points. It's likely a similar type curve between the Sharp IR sensor there and the thermistor discussed here.