Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Post Data to Internet with BS2? — Parallax Forums

Post Data to Internet with BS2?

Gavin_NSCCGavin_NSCC Posts: 3
edited 2011-11-04 17:40 in BASIC Stamp
Hello everyone,

Me and a classmate have tasked ourselves with designing a coin donation counter that will 'Like' a group on Facebook every time a donation is made. I am new to the world of Parallax, and wondering if it would be possible to post data to the Internet with the BS2. We would like to also send the amount of money donated in a day, along with the total amount of money collected since the device was powered on. This information would preferably be sent to a webpage that would update in real-time. Does anyone have any advice for our project? Is this idea feasible with the BS2?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

-Gavin

Comments

• Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2011-11-03 05:32
    It's possible. The BS2 needs helper hardware and an internet connection. Two suggestions, serial to Ethernet device (do an internet search) or connect the BS2 to a PC. Both approaches require code the later requires an application running on the PC to relay data to the web page.

Parallax sells a web server called the Spinneret. That could be an option too. Check out the Spinneret forum for more information.
  • xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
    edited 2011-11-04 17:40
    Hi Gavin,

I use what used to be called the PINK server (Parallax Internet Netburner Kit). While Parallax no longer sells them, they are available through NetBurner. They work fantastically well and run about $75.00 each. You can configure them to hook up to your router and have it assign an IP address. Only drawback is that the IP address is dynamic and will change on you occasionally, but this can be overcome using existing sites like no-ip.com, etc.

Dave