Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Pontus Rover (from the builder) — Parallax Forums

Pontus Rover (from the builder)

nvale55@gmail.comnvale55@gmail.com Posts: 15
edited 2011-11-05 07:28 in Robotics
Hi,

I was going through my views on my video on youtube called Pontus Rover and noticed some of them came from these forums, so i decided what the heck i'll joing and give and explanation of my project. To start, this project was my high school senior project and the idea was to build a platform that would be able to go on all - terrain while still staying level. To do this i made a simple rover platform that used tank steering to steer and a remote control to control the BS2px which controled the motors. Once the platform was built, i decided to a tilt mechanism which involved, 4 servos (two for the x-axis and two for the y-axis), which were also connected to the same BS2px, along with an accelerometer which sensed when the platform was in an angle (i would have prefered to use a gyroscope, but the accelerometer was cheaper and i was on a budget). This video basically shows that the rover is able to go up and down the ramp while the tilt mechanism says relativaly level (i say relatively because as you could see it jitters when moving and turning). My next project will hopefully include a propeller chip instead of the BS2px which in my mind means my robot could do more things.

Here's the video of my rover:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ7wDD8r2KA

and here are some pictures
project_pnus_rover_2_pits_001[1].jpg
project_pnus_rover_2_pits_002.jpg
project_pnus_rover_2_pits_003.jpg
project_pnus_rover_2_pits_004.jpg
project_pnus_rover_2_pits_005.jpg
project_pnus_rover_2_pits_006.jpg
project_pnus_rover_2_pits_001[1].jpg

Comments

• TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2011-11-02 10:33
    Welcome to the forums Mr .com

That Robot is just cool in every way.:thumb::thumb: Thanks for sharing.

You will have lots of fun with a Propeller, It's like having 8 stamps at once.

-Tommy
  • nvale55@gmail.comnvale55@gmail.com Posts: 15
    edited 2011-11-02 18:56
    Hey Tommy,

Thank you for appreciating my robot

-Nik
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2011-11-02 20:25
    Nik,

Welcome to Parallax's Forum.

I also like your robot. Very cool.

The Propeller is a great uC to use with robots.

Do you have a Propeller board/chip yet? Have you downloaded the Propeller Tool?

Parallel processing is so cool. No more trying to check sensors and drive motors between pulses to the servos. With the Prop, you just do it all at the same time.

And please, keep posting your progress here. We all love seeing others' robots.

Duane
  • nvale55@gmail.comnvale55@gmail.com Posts: 15
    edited 2011-11-05 07:28
    Hey Duane,

Sorry i wasn't able to respond right away, thank you also for appreciating my robot. My propeller platform from gadget ganster came in yesterday, so it shouldn't be long before i have some sort of robot together. I have yet to download to Propeller Tool yet, but i hope to do that some time today. The parallel processing is the main reason for the purchase of this uC, like you said, you can check sensors while driving motors all at the same time.

Nik