Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
From BOE to portable, real-world device? — Parallax Forums

From BOE to portable, real-world device?

RFrenetteRFrenette Posts: 10
edited 2011-11-03 08:13 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,

I'm looking into the BASIC Stamp Discovery Kit (USB), and I'm wondering: How does one make the jump from doing the projects on the BOE to a portable, real-world device. Is that what the BASIC Stamp 2 Carrier Board is for: Program the BS2-IC Microcontroller Module, test it on BOE, then move module to the Carrier Board?

Thanks for any guidance.

Rob

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-11-02 12:30
    You can use the carrier boards for your project if you're only making one or a few. For more than that, you want to make your own boards using the OEM version of the Stamp as the model.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2011-11-02 12:55
    Rob,

If you're going to make more than a few, you can also save costs by using the OEM components rather than the BASIC Stamp Modules themselves. You can reduce your cost to well under $20.00 per BASIC Stamp using this method.
  • RFrenetteRFrenette Posts: 10
    edited 2011-11-02 14:37
    Thanks for the replies, guys!

Mike: Are you referring to Item Code 27291?

Chris: Are you saying I can build my own BASIC Stamp instead of ordering a BS2-IC, as well as build the OEM board Mike was referring to?

Thanks again.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-11-02 16:12
    You have to use the BS2-IC since that's a pre-programmed PIC16C56 (I think that's right) with the PBasic interpreter inside. Everything else like the EEPROM, voltage regulator, resonator, etc. are standard parts you can get from any supplier.

The BS2 OEM kit is what's known as a reference design. It's a known good design for people to use as a model for their own designs where the device will be made in quantity eventually. For single quantities, the module is better. It's already assembled and tested, has a built-in voltage regulator that can be used to power a small amount of external logic, and much of the documentation for the Stamps uses the module.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2011-11-02 16:57
    You can also minimize components in the design. the reference design for the OEM BS2 includes all the circuitry needed to interface to an RS-232 port, but many designs won't need or want field reprogramming or you will want a USB interface. In these designs you can cut down on the parts used from the reference design as shown at the following link:

http://www.savagecircuits.com/forums/showthread.php?170-BS2-OEM-LITE-Schematics
  • RFrenetteRFrenette Posts: 10
    edited 2011-11-03 08:13
    Thanks again guys!