Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
27937 data logger — Parallax Forums

27937 data logger

stechmanstechman Posts: 11
edited 2011-11-11 06:04 in BASIC Stamp
I have problems with certain usb memory sticks cannot be written by the 27937 writter what memory stick can be recomended

Thank Billy

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2011-11-02 11:09
    Please try to be more specific in what your issue is. Which devices? What problems? Are the USB Drives you're using listed as "Secure" drives? Are they formatted according to the specifications of the Vinculum (Datalogger) IC?
  • stechmanstechman Posts: 11
    edited 2011-11-10 10:18
    Thanks CHris

I have bought more Usb memory sticks of different manufactures again and I found 2 that working it seems that those type that are flashing an LED inside not working . (the paralax device cannot write into them)
    What you think ?
    edited 2011-11-10 11:58
    Well without knowing which make/model drives worked and which ones didn't I couldn't look them up to see what the difference is. An activity LED should have nothing to do with the drive working or not. Also, in each case where they don't work you did not mention if the drive is formatted in the proper methos for the Vinculum chip?
  • Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2011-11-10 13:42
    Some USB drives have special boot code that creates a virtual CD when you plug it in. You can remove that stuff using the HP USB Disk Storage Format tool
    Download here

The last 8GB SanDisk Cruzer I bought had that boot stuff on it - You can't see it from Windows Explorer but it takes up space. Not sure if affects the Datalogger, but I reformatted the drive anyway...
    edited 2011-11-10 22:51
    the Vinculum chip in the Datalogger is most senstive to the format of the drive in terms of sector size. And yes, some drives don't appear as simple removeable media to the PC. Secure Drives often require special software to access them or when connected they install special drivers on your PC. Obviously these won't work on the Vinculum. I have found very few which don't though.
  • Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2011-11-11 06:04
    the Vinculum chip in the Datalogger is most senstive to the format of the drive in terms of sector size. And yes, some drives don't appear as simple removeable media to the PC. Secure Drives often require special software to access them or when connected they install special drivers on your PC. Obviously these won't work on the Vinculum. I have found very few which don't though.

I have had no problem with Sandisk, Sony or Kingston (4 and 8GB). A Lexar 16GB did not work - I doubt any 16GB would work though...
    I use the VDIP1 and VMUSIC2 modules.