Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Running BASIC Stamp Windows Editor in VirtualBox XP Guest OS? — Parallax Forums

Running BASIC Stamp Windows Editor in VirtualBox XP Guest OS?

RFrenetteRFrenette Posts: 10
edited 2011-10-31 19:59 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,

I'm running XP as a Guest (OSX Host) in VirtualBox. I'd like to install BASIC Stamp Windows Editor in XP and I'm wondering if there is any risk to the OSX USB drivers from the updates that are required.

Thanks for any info.

Rob

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-10-31 12:59
    I've run the Stamp Editor under Windows XP using Parallels Desktop. It works fine. You can either use the FTDI USB to serial Mac drivers installed on the MacOS side or the Windows drivers on the Windows XP side (as installed with the Stamp Editor). In the former case, the Editor sees a serial port (COM1 or COM2). In the latter case, you have to allow Windows XP to see the USB device and use its driver which appears as one of the other comm ports. If you allow the Stamp Editor's installer to install the USB to serial drivers, it only affects the virtual Windows. Nothing gets installed to Mac OS. The installer doesn't know it's running under VirtualBox.
  • RFrenetteRFrenette Posts: 10
    edited 2011-10-31 14:33
    Thanks, Mike, I appreciate the reply/info.
  • 4x5n4x5n Posts: 745
    edited 2011-10-31 19:59
    RFrenette wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm running XP as a Guest (OSX Host) in VirtualBox. I'd like to install BASIC Stamp Windows Editor in XP and I'm wondering if there is any risk to the OSX USB drivers from the updates that are required.

Thanks for any info.

Rob

The short answer is no.