Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What type of computer to use for Eddie's central processor? — Parallax Forums

What type of computer to use for Eddie's central processor?

Tom CTom C Posts: 461
edited 2011-10-29 19:30 in Robotics
I know that there are a number of Eddie threads and I was hesitant to add this thread, but I did not want it to get buried on another Eddie thread.
I presently have an immitation Eddie that consists of the new HDPE Robot Base on the bottom and an original Birch Robot Base (hear that erco!) as the second platform
above the HDPE base. I have installed the Motor Controller/Wheel Kit and have checked out the functionality of Motor Controller with the BS2 test program.
Now I am ready to go to the next step and install an Eddie Propeller Controller Board (when available), a Kinect, and some type of main computer to run RDS and coordinate all of the
electroncis. The question now is what type of computer to use?
I have looked at Netbooks that can run Windows 7 and slimmed down Laptops that can run Windows 7 also. However, I am also considering using a Mini-ITX computer. Mini-box.com ( http://www.mini-box.com/site/index.html ) offers several 12vdc powered Mini-ITX computers for around $250. Memory and a hard drive are extra, but would only add less than a $100 to the base price to meet the RDS minimum computer requirements. Since I have a spare mini keyboard and a small 12vdc monitor laying around, the Mini-ITX solution might work in relation to the cost of a Netbook or a slimmed down Laptop. Of course I still have to add a copy of Windows 7 to the mix, but I might be able to snag an OEM copy for less than the retail version.
So, for those of you who like to roll your own Eddie, what do you think you might want to use for Eddie's central computer: Netbook, Laptop or a Mini-ITX? What do you think?
Regards,
TCIII

Comments