Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Home made H-bridge... — Parallax Forums

Home made H-bridge...

BamseBamse Posts: 561
edited 2011-10-29 12:51 in Robotics
Howdy...

I just designed my first PCB and had it manufactured by Dorkbot PCB.
Took a couple of weeks to get the boards but I think they came out great.
Specially if you like purple boards... ;-)

H-Bridge01.jpg
H-Bridge02.jpg

The design itself is an H-bridge taken from Chuck McManis site,
http://mcmanis.com/chuck/robotics/tutorial/h-bridge/bjt-circuit.html

I replaced the Tip 102/107 with the more powerful Tip 142/147 and skipped the protection diodes since they are built in in the Tip 142/147.
For opto-couplers I used the PS2501-4 since I already had a few of them laying around.
The switching speed for the opto-coupler is 5us so with 128 distinctive steps I calculated the PWM frequency to 1.5KHz.
You can clearly hear the motor "sing" when using this PWM frequency... ;-)

It was a great fun project and I definitely designing some more PCBs in the future...

Comments

• TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2011-10-28 06:52
    Bamse, That looks pretty nice.

I like this H-bridge design, It seemed to be more "Tommy Proof" then some of the others I looked into.
    It has lots of power for the little Roomba motors I am using.. I have to hold both in a stall for the transistors to get warm.

I used a single sided board, and made it the same size as the Prop Proto board.
    And I went with the 120/125 darlington's, and all I had at the time was some 4N26's for the Opto's.

Good work, Thanks for sharing.

-Tommy
  • BamseBamse Posts: 561
    edited 2011-10-28 15:53
    Thanks Tommy.

They seem to be pretty "Fredrik Proof" as well, I managed to short them out a couple of times and my power supply shut down.
    A quick reboot of the power supply and the H-Bridges keeps going... ;-)
    The Tip142/147 are rated 10A and the Roomba motors stall current is 4A so I got room to spare.

Here is a video of the two of them in action.
    I'm controlling the Roomba motors with a cheapo Nun-chuck I got from E-bay.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0RZbAHI1jY

You can clearly hear the motor "sing" at 1.5KHz frequency.
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2011-10-29 04:04
    They're nice looking. Did you use discrete components over something like a l298 to get more power handling? Any idea what the idle current draw is?
  • BamseBamse Posts: 561
    edited 2011-10-29 12:51
    I already had the components from a previous H-bridge project that never got done... ;-)
    But 10A is a big plus of course...

The L298 should be more than powerful for my Roomba motors, Solarbotics sell a motor driver with this chip for $19, pretty good price.

I just measure the motors to draw 200ma when idling at full speed.