Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Digi (XBee) to be at Parallax next week - what questions might you want us to ask? — Parallax Forums

Digi (XBee) to be at Parallax next week - what questions might you want us to ask?

Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
edited 2011-11-20 15:49 in Accessories
Hey there,

Next week we'll have a couple of Digi representatives at Parallax, including Rob Faludi (wrote the book). Since anything of interest to you is of interest to Parallax, what would you like us to ask them?

Go ahead, share some of your wishes or requests and we'll get some of your questions answered, whether product-oriented, technical or related to the future. We'll only be able to share what they allow us to share, just to be clear.

Sincerely,

Ken Gracey

Comments

• sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2011-10-26 11:32
    Well, here's one you can answer. Rob Faludi works for Digi? I did not know that.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2011-10-26 12:32
    Yes, sylvie369. His job at Digi is to connect with innovators, creators and entrepreneurs who are using the XBee product line. Helping them make their visions come to production is part of his mission.

Ken Gracey
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2011-10-26 16:36
    Heres one Ken;
    '
    Is it possible to use the WiFi XBEE as a sever or a TCP/IP node. Instead of just a WiFi "cable" replacement?
    I want to force an IP address and use this in a TCP/IP app. with my WiFi router and WPA.
    '
    I may be miss reading the Docs. and this is why I ask this.
    '
    I did get the XBEE WiFi Development kit XK2-WFT-0. But I have not had time to really play with it yet.
    '
    Thanks
    edited 2011-10-28 12:22
    @Walt, you got it. I shall get a detailed reply to your request. After all, I need to be able to drive your Florida Swamp Buggy from California. Such contraptions probably are not allowed in California wetlands anyway, at least without State, Federal and local approvals.

Anybody else?

Ken Gracey
  • Greg PGreg P Posts: 58
    edited 2011-11-01 12:19
    Ken,

I'm currently developing a wireless means to monitor our "helium-return" meters throughout the department using 900 MHz Xbees with Digimesh (64-bit address) firmware. I have found the work of Martin Hebel (Xbee Object Library) to be very instructive. On the other hand, there seems to be a great lack of source code examples available directly from Digi. Without the software trail blazed by Mr. Hebel, I doubt that I would have considered the Xbee for this project.

I would suggest that the Propeller and the Xbee might become great synergistic marketing "buddies." The Propeller spin language provides an easy-to-read intuitive means of offering source code examples of Xbee interfacing. Likewise, those initially exploring the Xbee will be redirected to a terrific micro-controller they might otherwise not be familiar with. WIN-WIN.

Unfortunately (at least to my knowledge), only Martin Hebel has offered significant Propeller code for Xbee communication. [if there is other significant work, please advise!] His work is great, but more collaboration will be required in order to develop a robust Propeller solution. I intend to offer my own update to Martin's work in the near future to the OBEX. The new object will eliminate a good portion of the redundancy in his code, move most of the action to assembly code, support Digimesh (64-bit addressing), and will use only DAT variables. This should allow for the creation of an array of Xbee objects with each object referencing the same Xbee-driver object internally (much like SerialMirror).

Some issues I have encountered:

1) The 32401 (rev B) Xbee adapter board:
    '

A) Attach note warning hobbyists that solder will be siphoned through the PCB holes into the 2mm header housing. Unless careful, this may lead to significant electrical contact issues. In my case, pressing the Xbee fully into the header resulted in a spreading of the spring contacts and an opening of the electrical connection. Would a 2mm header with a sealed housing on the component PCB side be available ? Otherwise, advise minimal solder & heating time per pin.

B) DIP pin #4 (DIN input to Xbee) must not be allowed to float. The buffer chip lacks a "bus holding" circuit [like the 74LVCH244A], and if left floating will generate false 'start bits' at the xbee's DIN input pin. The xbee will wirelessly transmit x90 packets at a high rate over the network (with 1 or 2 null character payloads). This unwanted data traffic proved so extreme that the original RxPacketNow Hebel code (which replied on a > 1mS break in the received serial data stream in order to identify the end of an incoming packet) failed, leading it to overwrite hub memory well beyond the end of its intended DataSet array target.

2) At least for the 900 MHz Xbee Pro, many of the details for regarding data packets were scattered among other documents on their website. Only after 'digesting' information from these multiple sources does a full picture emerge.
  • graffixgraffix Posts: 389
    edited 2011-11-20 15:01
    Well how did the visit go?Anything juicy?
    edited 2011-11-20 15:49
    graffix wrote: »
    Well how did the visit go?Anything juicy?

Yes, very well! In brief:

- We had a training on the WiFi module, which is more or less a serial link. We have six units that we're looking at for remote programming, robotics, and compatibility with our adapter boards.
    - Discussing some joint efforts that aren't suitable for the forum just yet, but shall bring many benefits to all of you in terms of support.
    - Digi plans on moving X-CTU to a more multi-OS solution.
    - Parallax needs to stock the 900 mHz modules (GregP's post, above)

I will answer GregP's request really soon, too.

Thanks,

Ken Gracey