Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Where to find 5/8" square aluminum tubing 0.035" wall or thereabouts — Parallax Forums

Where to find 5/8" square aluminum tubing 0.035" wall or thereabouts

Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
edited 2011-10-31 11:34 in Robotics
Hey all,

You're probably familiar with my quadcopter build log and the fact that we've been using round tubes. Nearly every quadcopter out there seems to use square tubes unless they're using carbon fiber, in which case they use round booms. I can understand why the quadcopter builders prefer square tubing after making several of these myself. I'm not convinced that I should be using square tubing - when you show people square and round they point to round as their preferred design. At least it's this way with the people I've pitched our design [while holding a sexy quadcopter made with round tubes].

But I need to build a quadcopter with square tubing. Since I can hardly get involved in any project without thinking about production capabilities I need to find the tubing source. I'm seeing 1/2" and 3/4", but no 5/8". Wall size would be less than 1/16" - ideally around 0.035". I've been to McMaster, OnLine Metals, Speedy Metals, and our industrial supplier Coast Aluminum.

Where or where does one find 5/8" AL6061 or AL6063 square aluminum tubing with thin walls?

I've googled, I've gaggled, and I've about given up! But I know it's out there! Anybody?

Thanks,

Ken Gracey

Comments