Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How is the W5100 interfaced / connected to the Propeller? — Parallax Forums

How is the W5100 interfaced / connected to the Propeller?

Don MDon M Posts: 1,647
edited 2011-10-18 06:23 in Accessories
Does it use a parallel 8 bit and SPI bus? It looks like quite a few connections between them. I'm trying to figure out a "replacement" for the W5100 using a WiFi module it that's possible. These WiFi modules don't have any provisions to store any HTML code so I was going to use the prop and SD card similar to what is being done now with the Spinneret only replacing the W5100 with a WiFi module.

Comments

• Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2011-10-17 19:11
    Please see the Spinneret Schematic found on the Spinneret Product page.
  • M. K. BorriM. K. Borri Posts: 279
    edited 2011-10-17 21:25
    You can run it in either parallel mode or SPI mode. One thing i did notice is that the low level driver seems to assume you're using pins 0 to 7 for the data lines, because I was unable to get it to work otherwise...
  • Don MDon M Posts: 1,647
    edited 2011-10-18 04:46
    @Mike G- yes I had already looked at that and saw that there were 8 data lines, SPI plus some control lines. I guess I could have been more specific but thought that it was unusual (to me) for all those lines to be used at the same time so I guess more specifically- using your webserver program does it rely on all those connections or one or the other?

I think M K Borri may have somewhat answered that but wanted to confirm with those that have been more involved with it.

Thanks.
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2011-10-18 06:08
    Before the spinneret came out I had a w5100 module for testing. After the spinneret arrived, I tired to wire it up to a protoboard per the spinneret schematic, but I never got it to work. I thought the parts were a match, but maybe I messed up the wirewrap, and it dropped lower on the to do list.

Which WiFi module are you using?
  • Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2011-10-18 06:23
    The Spinneret is wire up for 2 of the 3 W5100 modes; SPI and Indirect. SPI uses 4 I/O pins, Indirect uses 10 I/O pins. Pins 0-7 are the data bus used for Indirect mode. Pins 0-3 are used for SPI mode.

Mode information is openly published in the W5100 Datasheet. If you use the Indirect driver then the Spinneret is consuming 10 I/O pins, 2 address and 8 data, plus the 4 CS, RD, WR, and INT. The connections are published in the mentioned schematic.

I don't see why the data bus for your WiFi setup needs to be the same as the W5100. I do understand a consistent SD card and RTC interface. I'd be of the mindset to free up a few Propeller pins with the WiFi setup if possible.