Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Servo Positioning — Parallax Forums

Servo Positioning

geneshultsgeneshults Posts: 22
edited 2011-10-18 08:27 in BASIC Stamp
Hello to all
I have been trying out the servo and commands to it.
What I'm having problems with and not understanding why, is that when I position the servo lets say at 90 degrees and after it times out in the count instruction it wants to vary from that position.
Is this normal for servos?
Not for sure if it's the servo I have or is this the nature of the servo.
What I would like, is to position it to a location and and stay there until I come back and instruct it to change.

Thanks
Gene

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2011-10-15 16:39
    You have to regularly issue the servo position pulse, you can't "set it and forget it", it has to be 'refreshed' every 20msec.
    You issue the pulse, go do some other stuff, and repeat in time enough OR you buy a ServoPal (which is a "set it and forget it" device.)

PE - Get two. You can control two servos with one ServoPal, but you'll start thinking of stuff.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2011-10-17 10:31
    Gene,

What I am curious about is that you mentioned the COUNT instruction. Can you attach your code?
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-10-17 12:21
    The "Robotics for the BoeBot" tutorial has a good introduction to servos and how to use them with a Stamp. You can download it by clicking on the Downloads button on the main Parallax webpage, then clicking on the "Educational Tutorials & Translations" button.
  • dirtrider444dirtrider444 Posts: 33
    edited 2011-10-18 00:11
    No it doesnt.It gives very good directions about using a continous motion servo, however it is irrelevent and doesnt work with a standard servo. Whats a simple code that the two of us can look at and desipher and play with?????????