Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
WiFi alternative — Parallax Forums

WiFi alternative

max72max72 Posts: 1,155
edited 2011-10-28 21:38 in Accessories
Looking around the web I found this:

http://www.asus.com/Networks/Wireless_Routers/WL330gE

I was thinking of coupling it with a spinneret. This way the WiFi should work out of the box. Requires 5V 1A, so not so difficult ot achieve even in a portable environment.

I would like your opinion.
At the moment it is out of stock here, but the price is affordable..

Massimo

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-10-12 05:52
    I'm not familiar with this particular device, but I have a similar one from D-Link. It should do what you want. I've used my D-Link one with a YBox2 to make a WiFi-based Propeller-based web server.
  • max72max72 Posts: 1,155
    edited 2011-10-12 06:14
    Thanks Mike.
    I was thinking of a device to connect my remote prop to a standard device.
    For prop to prop connection in a short range xbee if a great solution, but if I want to be able to connect to my prop via a smarphone or a similar device I have to go WiFi.
    Massimo
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    edited 2011-10-12 06:31
    I have an older version of that Asus pocket wi-fi router/adapter. It's great for travels. Although mine doesn't require 1A, it can alternatively be powered with a little USB stub cable, from my laptop which can't even provide 500mA (it's an old 1.1 only USB laptop).

-Tor
    edited 2011-10-12 07:16
    Thanks Tor.
    Power requirements are probably related to range. The "N" requires a 2A power supply... probably it is a peak/conservative value, anyway it could ease the pain for the WiFi premature EOL..
    edited 2011-10-12 11:44
    max72 wrote: »
    Thanks Tor.
    Power requirements are probably related to range. The "N" requires a 2A power supply... probably it is a peak/conservative value, anyway it could ease the pain for the WiFi premature EOL..
    I have the 330b, and I have used the 330g. The 'b' is 802.11b only. The difference between the 'b' and the 'g', in addition to the latter also being 802.11g, is that the 330g had removed the repater function (extend an AP's range via bridging). It looks like they have added that back with the gE version. I've never used that feature with my 330b though, even though I could easily think up usability cases. In practice I've mostly used my Asus pocket adapter to provide wireless access for myself and colleagues when on mission, in places where we only had access to wired Ethernet. We can't survive without our wireless gadgets..

I have also used it as a (slightly big) wi-fi dongle for laptops with no built-in wi-fi (I bought it before this became common with newer laptops). It works great that way too.

It's very versatile, although I haven't needed the bridging feature (which they removed in the g and apparently re-added in the gE). If my 330b fails, or I suddenly really think I need g speeds, then I would buy that 330gE in a hearthtbeat. There are other similar pocket adapters out there, but I've been really happy with the Asus.

I looked at the specs for that 330gE. It says it comes with a 1A power adapter, it doesn't really say that it _needs_ 1A.. it does, however, also say that it comes with a USB power cord, just as mine did. Which means that it should almost certainly work with just 500mA, unless that USB cable is a Y-cable, and I think they would have said so if that were the case.

-Tor
    edited 2011-10-12 14:03
    Thanks Tor for your insight.
    It looks a good candidate as a spinneret companion..
    When back in stock I'll get one and report how it works.
    Massimo
    edited 2011-10-13 06:47
    Update: I found a youtube unboxing...
    single USB, so 500mA max... better.. :-)
  • sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2011-10-13 07:02
    A couple of the customer reviews on Amazon.com confirm that it works with a USB connection for power, and one claims that there is no discernible loss of range. There are some other interesting warnings there about software issues, notably not having a way of reaching networks with hidden SSIDs.
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2011-10-13 11:59
    I have one of those and its worked well for the past three years. I use it with a desktop machine upstairs that doesn't have a wireless card. It should work for what you want.
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2011-10-13 13:57
    I've been using linksys music bridges.. (no longer made. but still found for sale) which can be used as ethernet bridges. (Undocumented feature)

OBC
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-10-13 19:39
    There's also this very tiny (and less expensive) unit:

-Phil
    edited 2011-10-14 01:52
    Thanks Phil, nice unit.
    Unfortunately they are not available as cheaply in Europe...
    Massimo
  • Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL) Posts: 1,720
    edited 2011-10-14 16:23
    WiFi boards from MikroElektronika.

WiFi - PROTO Board

$54.00 USD

WiFi PROTO Board is a miniature, inexpensive wireless 2.4GHz 802.11b solution for your prototype. It carries MRF24WB0MA Wi-Fi radio transceiver module with integrated PCB antenna, matching circuitry, and supports Wi-Fi with the free TCP/IP protocol stack. Board uses 4-wire SPI and UART interface for communication.

http://www.mikroe.com/eng/products/view/475/wifi-proto-board/
  • Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL) Posts: 1,720
    edited 2011-10-14 16:26
    EasyWiFi Board $59.00 USD
    EasyWiFi Board

EasyWiFi Board is a all-in-one wireless 2.4GHz 802.11b solution with high-speed voltage translators, making it suitable for most microcontroller architectures. It carries MRF24WB0MA Wi-Fi radio transceiver module with integrated PCB antenna, matching circuitry. Board uses 4-wire SPI interface connected with IDC10 connectors compatible with all mikroE development boards. Board uses 4-wire SPI and UART interface for communication.

http://www.mikroe.com/eng/products/view/572/easywifi-board/
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2011-10-16 19:53
    Take a look at the RN-171 and RN-174 from RovingNetworks
    http://rovingnetworks.com/
    '
    The RN-171 is the WiFi module and the RN-174 is a Development board with the RN-171 soldered on.
    '
    After about 3 and 1/2 hours, I have a working WiFi link that I have wanted for years.
    '
    This unit is really easy to use and easy to configure.Most of the time spent was in reading the Docs.
    '
    I'm still in outage mode here in Fl. But when I get done with that, I'll post some info and some simple code for the Prop and the BS2 that works great with this WiFi module.(TCP/IP) mode for now.
    '
    It will do TCP/IP,DHCP, UDP, FTP, UART,DNS,HTML,http,adhoc and more.
  • RonPRonP Posts: 384
    edited 2011-10-16 21:23
    Thanks for sharing your findings. Interesting little gadgets.

FYI your link is bad loss the "e".

Ron
    edited 2011-10-17 01:25
    $WMc% wrote: »
    www.rovingnetworkes.com
    A typo there.. try www.rovingnetworks.com

-Tor
    edited 2011-10-17 18:06
    Sorry about the typo with the link, I fixed it. (I'm working way to many hours to think straight.)
    '
    I still found enough fun time to write a quick Telnet app on the Prop with PropBasic and the RN-174 via WiFi.
    Works like a champ.
    '
    I plan to do some range testing later on this week.I'll report back later with the results.
  • culver.doveculver.dove Posts: 1
    edited 2011-10-19 01:16
    hello

As one might expect, there was some serious WiMAX boosterism evident at this week's WiMAX World show in Chicago. Somewhat less expected was a fair bit of trash-talking about municipal WiFi from supporters of WiMAX who believe that 802.16e, better known as Mobile WiMAX, has the potential to provide the kind of user experience and business case that municipal WiFi lacks.
    edited 2011-10-25 18:42
    Check this out
    1024 x 754 - 25K
    1024 x 754 - 38K
    1024 x 754 - 29K
    edited 2011-10-27 00:26
    Very nice.. :-)
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2011-10-27 10:57
    Regarding the ASUS wifi routers, I have one and they can use OpenWRT Linux software to replace their firmware. What most Americans don't know is that many of their branded laptops have OEM Asus motherboards in them, possibly inclusive of HP and Apple. They are top notch products and many claim their better than Acer. At one point, Intel failed to produce its own motherboard for new product and Asus provide them with boards that were branded as Intel.

http://oleg.wl500g.info/

I have a converted Asus wl500gp, which may be more optimal for Oleg's firmware. Most of the challenges are to learn to configure your own firewall settings. Everything else is fairly easy to do.

And on another front, I have on order a PandaBoard from Digikey - but I fear this is going to sit in backlog forever.

http://pandaboard.org/
  • Mike CookMike Cook Posts: 829
    edited 2011-10-27 11:30
    $WMc% wrote: »
    http://rovingnetworks.com/
    '
    The RN-171 is the WiFi module and the RN-174 is a Development board with the RN-171 soldered on.
    '
    After about 3 and 1/2 hours, I have a working WiFi link that I have wanted for years.
    '
    This unit is really easy to use and easy to configure.Most of the time spent was in reading the Docs.
    '
    I'm still in outage mode here in Fl. But when I get done with that, I'll post some info and some simple code for the Prop and the BS2 that works great with this WiFi module.(TCP/IP) mode for now.
    '
    It will do TCP/IP,DHCP, UDP, FTP, UART,DNS,HTML,http,adhoc and more.

You might want to have a look at this module, XBEE pinout and should be the same as the RN-171. I ordered one to swap out one of my XBEE series 1's.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Roving-Networks/RN-XV-U/?qs=sVdVlwbC4QifOw6fYaNjHw%3d%3d

Here is a link to the data sheet, the one on Mouser's site is giving a 404 error:

http://www.rovingnetworks.com/files/resources/WiFly-RN-XV-DS.pdf
    edited 2011-10-27 18:53
    Mike Cook
    '
    Better look again.
    '
    Or maybe you have found something I haven't.
    To be honest I have done a brief read on this,and it does need a farther read on my part.
    edited 2011-10-28 21:38
    Heres a little more info on the RN-174 WiFi
    '
    To configure the unit...Your just gonna have to read the docs. Its not bad only 84 pages....Its well worth it.
    '
    I have a REMed out config jpeg below that will help get the connection started.
    '
    A word of note here.
    '
    telnet is NOT auto installed on WIN-XP, But it is on the WIN-OP/XP install disk.
    '
    In control panel/ add/remove prog. type in "telnet"...insert the WIN/XP/CD and point to the path to load telnet.[drive D:](usually) The install wiz. will do the rest.Just follow it.
    '
    The little BS2 code parses out some ASCII code from the RN-174 to turn an led on or off. "1"=LEDon :"0"=LEDoff vea WiFi and telnet. Note I've also used PuTTY and it works good to.
    '
    Please forgive the weird SLCD commands, I couldn't find the SLCD command file for this so I wrote the demo from my memory only.
    '
    The RN-174 uses a NULL MODEM...on J3 RS232 jack .If you by the Dev. kit. you get a NULL adapter.
    '
    The RS232 is also inverted from the RN-174,You will see it in the BS2 code...
    '
    1024 x 754 - 23K
    1024 x 754 - 28K
    1024 x 754 - 74K
    1024 x 754 - 39K
    1024 x 754 - 22K