Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Looking for a Bluetooth option that wont break the bank - any ideas? — Parallax Forums

Looking for a Bluetooth option that wont break the bank - any ideas?

damage31damage31 Posts: 21
edited 2011-10-16 06:46 in Accessories
I've been looking at eBay and I see Bluetooth modules for reasonable prices, but I have no idea if they are able to be used with a BS2.

Anyone have a clue if this unit would work?

What I would like is to find some sort of module that can send/receive data from a BS2 to a cell phone that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Any one have any thoughts?

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2011-10-09 15:57
    It looks like it ought to.
    It's asynch serial, 9600 8N1, which the Stamp can do handily.

Note -- the XBee-BT is a 3V device.
    The Stamp will likely be OK with 3V data from the XBEE TXD (no harm, no foul, no worries), but the XBee won't like getting 5V data (at its RXD) from the Stamp.
    [The XBee transceivers sold by Parallax don't allow for that "series resistor schlepp", so I assume it's that way for this device, too.]

Here's a 3V-5V interface that I used with my XBee transceivers:

3V_5V_mosfet.JPG

There's also the additional 3V source, too.
    Here's an implementation, with the XBee xcvr (xmt only); I think it's the same situation for the XBee/BT
    (Nice find, by the way.)
    Atari_kybd RC.jpg
    267 x 133 - 6K
    764 x 752 - 66K
  • damage31damage31 Posts: 21
    edited 2011-10-09 17:41
    thanks for the info - I think I'll give it a try and see what happens - It's cheap enough that if it doesn't work, I wont feel so bad.
    edited 2011-10-09 17:48
    I am looking forward to reading of your BT exploits.
    Every success.
    Please update as you progress.
  • Don MDon M Posts: 1,647
    edited 2011-10-09 19:07
    I have used these with great success: http://kcwirefree.com/data.html
    edited 2011-10-16 06:46
    damage31,
    I bought a few of those XB-BT guys. I have BT 'dongles', like what Gareth used, on order from a separate outfit. Assuming all that's delivered (anxiously awaiting, fingers x'd)... I still have no phone with which to avail.

[I was buying DVDs for 2-3 years before I ever bought a DVD-player!]

PE - As fate would have it -- while out for a walk this morning right after I'd made this post, I cut across the back of a restaurant parking lot that's overflow on weekend_PMs for a nightclub/bar. I thought is was a cheap-o camera, but it was a verizon htcdroid 3g. There was some motor oil on it. I cleaned it up good and it turned on, it worked. Somebody got tanked and parted company with his expensive phone. I went to a verizon store and the manager said they could get it back to the person.