Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
File upload from SD card using Wifly RN-XV — Parallax Forums

File upload from SD card using Wifly RN-XV

tonocastillotonocastillo Posts: 12
edited 2013-10-21 08:06 in Accessories
Hello All,

I have been looking for information but what I have found until now, it's not helping or I am not getting it :(

I am building a device which logs information from many sensors (gps, accel, etc) to a file in a SD card.
I am done with this part.

Here's the problem.
This log file in the SD card, I wish to upload it to a server using a Wifly RN-XV module.
I was able to configure this module to connect to my router using WPA2-PSK using AES perfectly.
I can ping it, ran a port scan, I can see port 2000 open and everything :)

Now I would like to upload this file located in the SD card to a server.
I'm not sure what would be the best approach to make it work.

I have connected the Rx/Tx pins of the prop and wifly module like this:

Prop pin 30 (Tx) <--> Wifly pin 3 (Rx)
Prop pin 31 (Rx) <--> Wifly pin 2 (Tx)

Is it possible to do a file transfer using UART?
FullDuplexSerial works for this?
What do you suggest?

Thanks in advance :)

Cheers,

Tono

Comments

• $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2011-10-13 19:55
    Hello All,

I have been looking for information but what I have found until now, it's not helping or I am not getting it :(

I am building a device which logs information from many sensors (gps, accel, etc) to a file in a SD card.
    I am done with this part.

Here's the problem.
    This log file in the SD card, I wish to upload it to a server using a Wifly RN-XV module.
    I was able to configure this module to connect to my router using WPA2-PSK using AES perfectly.
    I can ping it, ran a port scan, I can see port 2000 open and everything :)

Now I would like to upload this file located in the SD card to a server.
    I'm not sure what would be the best approach to make it work.

I have connected the Rx/Tx pins of the prop and wifly module like this:

Prop pin 30 (Tx) <--> Wifly pin 3 (Rx)
    Prop pin 31 (Rx) <--> Wifly pin 2 (Tx)

Is it possible to do a file transfer using UART?
    FullDuplexSerial works for this?
    What do you suggest?

Thanks in advance :)

Cheers,

Tono
    '
    This looks like it would work, But, The RS-232 DC bus voltage starts at 4v to 16v DC?
    '
    I wonder if 3.3v is not enough to toggle the WiFi's RX/TX PIN state?
    '
    I just got this kit myself and I haven't had time to read through all the DOC's.
  • tonocastillotonocastillo Posts: 12
    edited 2011-11-08 09:31
    Hi all,

Here's an update...
    This could be useful for someone.
    The RN-XV works great with the propeller.

I was able to upload stuff from the SD card to a file in a ftp server.

You just need to configure the wireless and ftp settings on the wifly.
    - Once you are able to connect to a router or whatever, you need to open a ftp connection.
    - You need to send some strings using Parallax Serial Terminal object, same thing as if you wanted to see this information in the Parallax Serial Terminal screen.
    The information going to the Parallax serial terminal will be sent through the Propeller Tx pin (30), connect this pin to Rx pin in the wifly (pin 3).

Once you were able to connect to a router, you just need to send strings to the wifly to open the ftp connection and then you need to upload the file from the sd card using UART.
    The same stuff you see in the Parallax Serial Terminal screen, you will find it uploaded in the file in the FTP server.
    There is a variable in the wifly that you might want to modify, to close the FTP connections once the upload is done.

Note that this is just to upload information, I just used Tx in the prop and Rx in the wifily.
    I didn't use Rx in the prob connected to Tx of the wifly. So looks like it's not mandatory a both ways connection.

I hope this works as some kind of guide.

Any corrections are welcome.

Cheers,

Tono
  • sumitdbysumitdby Posts: 1
    edited 2013-10-20 23:51
    Hello,
    I want to interface wifi module - RN-XV WiFi to serial Module with ARM micro controller my board has the support for interfacing wifi modules.
    My question is "can we transfer any formatted file like .txt or .mp3 from any wifi device in range like mobile phone to arm board and save that file on memory card or sd card using this RN-XV WiFi to serial Module"

Can you guide me how to do this because i have done wireless communication to transfer raw data never worked on file transfer or something how this things work ?
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-10-21 08:06
    The RN-XV only provides the wireless serial connection. It doesn't know about the format of the data being sent. That is the job of the microcontroller on each end. If you are using a mobile phone on one end, that depends on the program you are using on the phone. None of this happens automatically.

This is a Parallax support forum for supporting Parallax products. Neither your ARM microcontroller nor the WiFly modules are Parallax products. I suggest you ask at SparkFun since they sell both WiFly modules and ARM microcontrollers.