Stingray Robot Kit Changes (#28980)

13»

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2011-11-29 11:54
    Sounds interesting...I may try it.
    edited 2011-11-30 14:54
    By the way I connected both motors to the Lithium Ion Power Supply at full and the new 12V motors are considerably slower than the current Stingray motors at the same voltage. I still need to finish this robot, but once I am done I will pit them against each other and shoot some video of it.
  • OhmwareOhmware Posts: 11
    edited 2011-12-05 10:50
    Roy Eltham wrote: »
    I've got those alternate wheels on order (two different hardnesses), and I went ahead and ordered some of the pololu motors. Some 75:1 6V motors ( http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/2275 ) and some 100:1 12V motors ( http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1446 ). They both come with encoders and they look decent enough, we'll see if they suck or not. They aren't the little Smile ones that you find on most of pololu's little bots.

Any news on how these worked out? I would like to order a set of these for my Stingray but first I'd like to know how they fit in the pre-drilled mounts in the stock chassis…
  • Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 2,996
    edited 2011-12-05 21:45
    Sorry it's taking me longer than expected. I got sidetracked by work and stuff. Also, I can't mount the motors into the stingray plates without drilling. I'm off work a bunch this month (currently visiting Rocklin), so I should be able to get to this stuff soon.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    edited 2011-12-06 09:27
    I'm off work a bunch this month (currently visiting Rocklin)...

Whassup in Rocklin? Top secret development? You're making us jealous! :)

In my first job, I worked for Pratt & Whitney Aircraft for a year. Military jet aircraft engines & all that. I worked on the F100 engine in the F-15 and F-16. Top secret clearance and all. My boss had previously worked on the J-58, the monstrous engines in the SR-71 Blackbird during its development at Lockheed's Skunk Works. THAT was super dynamo ultra top secret. Lockheed wouldn't initially tell Pratt much about the plane that needed engines that were idling at Mach 3. It was an unheard of spec at the time. When my boss visited Lockheed in Palmdale, CA, he was disguised as a Pepsi delivery guy. Drove a Pepsi truck, took a hand truck of sodas, and disappeared behind a secret sliding wall. Very Hollywood cloak & dagger stuff.

So what does it take to penetrate Parallax's outer defense system? :)
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2011-12-06 09:32
    Donuts for "Donut Friday"......delivered on the correct day!
  • Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 2,996
    edited 2011-12-06 09:41
    This is mostly just me visiting Ken & Chip & the Parallax gang. Although, I'll be talking about software stuff with Jeff Martin today for a bit.
    I'm also "beta testing" the build instructions for the ELEV-8 quadcopter. :D Tomorrow I'm going up to Chip's place in Red Bluff to hang out in the walnut trees!

Anyway, I think Ken is going to let me get a couple extra motor plates for my Stingray so I can drill them up for the alternate motors, that way I can keep one set clean for the normal motors. I promise to get some info posted here before the end of the month with the alternate motors and wheels.
  • schillschill Posts: 741
    edited 2011-12-06 10:23
    Anyway, I think Ken is going to let me get a couple extra motor plates for my Stingray so I can drill them up for the alternate motors, that way I can keep one set clean for the normal motors. I promise to get some info posted here before the end of the month with the alternate motors and wheels.

It would be nice to see those plates (and the other side plates) made available to the general public. I'd also like to get a few spares to try out some stuff. Actually, the ability to get any of the other plates would be nice - another layer on top, perhaps?
  • ajwardajward Posts: 1,124
    edited 2011-12-06 14:24
    erco wrote: »
    Whassup in Rocklin? Top secret development? You're making us jealous! :)
    So what does it take to penetrate Parallax's outer defense system? :)

A dancing Penguin? ;-)

@
  • zappmanzappman Posts: 418
    edited 2011-12-06 16:02
    I now have a pair of the Pololu 100:1 12V motors with encoders ( http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1446 ), they are the same one's that Roy Eltham has.

I connected them to a 9.6V NiMh Battery and ran them with no load. At 9.6 Volts with no load, I measured the motors rotated at about 90 RPM (they are spec'd at 100 RPM with no load at 12 Volts).
  • RambomanRamboman Posts: 101
    edited 2012-02-09 07:45
    To be honest, it's not the best product from Parallax... It's a good idea to drop it...
    But... I stay with two Control Boards I will never use... Replaced by the QuickStart...
    So I am not very happy... I made a bad choice ;-(
    edited 2012-02-09 11:18
    Matt G posted in the following thread to update that member on the current progress of the encoders for the Stingray. As I have said, we are following up on this product and trying to bring you more viable accessories to support it.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?137677-Very-Unhappy&p=1073120#post1073120
    edited 2012-03-19 09:39
    Hey everyone, just an update on the new motors...after 2 months we finally got the samples we ordered, however they did not include the motor shaft as they should, so we are waiting for new samples. Sometimes these are the delays we encounter when trying to get new parts/products for our customers. I will keep you updated on the new motor progress as new information becomes available.