Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Questions about using Gazbot board with BoeBot — Parallax Forums

Questions about using Gazbot board with BoeBot

dirtrider444dirtrider444 Posts: 33
edited 2011-10-05 11:57 in BASIC Stamp
I have a BOE-BOT with the BS2 stamp. I have been desperately trying to connect my Gazbot IR to the board, however I cannot figure out the which of the 3 wires coming out do what. Anybody with any info would be a huge help!

Thank you!
Taylor

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-10-05 10:30
    Some suggestions:

Most people here have no idea what a Gazbot is. You had sent me this link privately. It shows two switches and their pullups as well as a Sharp IR sensor with its analog output plus an ADC0831 analog to digital converter. That's more than 3 wires. What 3 wires are you talking about? In general, you will get better suggestions and answers if you provide more information and have clearly stated and relatively detailed questions. I've already given you a list of relevant Parallax documentation. You had said that you've looked at it in the past. You might reference the specific sections (like in Robotics for the BoeBot and Basic Analog and Digital) that apply to what you have and your questions about that so there's a reference point for any suggestions or discussion.

You might also change your thread title to something more meaningful so that others will understand the specific problem you're having. You can use the "Edit Post" button on the 1st post to edit the thread title.
  • dirtrider444dirtrider444 Posts: 33
    edited 2011-10-05 10:46
    The Gazbot is a unit that attaches to a boe bot board. The gazbot unit has two "bump" switches on it as well as the SHARP IR sensor. There are only 5 wires coming out of the board that has the ADCO831 analog to digital converter on it. Two of these switches go to the "bump" switches. That leaves three wires for the IR sensor. My question is what are those 3 wires? If i was to go to radio shack and buy all the pieces and run my own IR by following a schematic, it would be one thing, however everything is going through the board and I am having a rough time. I am fairly amateur and could easily be overlooking something.
    edited 2011-10-05 11:09
    I just found this code from a man who was joining an IR to his Basic Stamp. Hes using a "pna4602m 38khz ir detector and interfaced it with my bs2"

' {$STAMP BS2}
    ' {$PBASIC 2.5}

'pin 10 = ir led
    'pin 9 = vout of ir detector
    'pin 8 = normal led

main:
    time VAR BIT
    FREQOUT 10,10,38000

RCTIME 9, 1, time
    DEBUG ? time
    IF time = 1 THEN ledon
    IF time = 0 THEN main

ledon:
    LOW 8
    PAUSE 100
    HIGH 8
    GOTO main

Im interested mainly in the Pins that were declared at the top

pin 10 = ir led

pin 9 = vout of ir detector

does these two pin declarations mean that they are two that lead from the IR sensor and the third wire is potentially a "ground" since Pins 10 & 9 are giving power to the sensors?
    edited 2011-10-05 11:09
    If you'll look at the schematic for the GazBot, the Sharp IR sensor is connected to an ADC0831 analog to digital converter which is in turn connected (eventually) to the Stamp. Please download and study the section of the "Basic Analog and Digital" tutorial on the ADC0831 converter. It shows how to connect the ADC0831 to a Stamp and provides programming examples for its use. The Sharp sensor puts out a voltage proportional to the distance measured and the ADC0831 converts that voltage to a number that the Stamp can read as shown in the tutorial.
    edited 2011-10-05 11:17
    In the program fragment you showed in message #4, the I/O pin numbers you refer to as "declarations" are not really declarations. They're just comments for anyone reading the program. The Stamp doesn't know anything about what's written there. The IR sensor used in that program fragment is completely different from the one used in the GazBot. It works differently, is connected differently, and is programmed differently.

Read the sections of the "BASIC Stamp Syntax and Reference Manual" on the HIGH, LOW, FREQOUT, and RCTIME statements (and the other statements used if you want). You'll see that programs use an I/O pin number or a name declared as a PIN. Read that section of the Manual (on PIN) as well.
    edited 2011-10-05 11:17
    why do i find the tutorial "Basic Analog and Digital" tutorial on the ADC0831 converter?
    edited 2011-10-05 11:52
    Go to the main Parallax webpage and click on the Downloads button. On the webpage you get, click on the Educational Tutorials & Translations button to get links to the various tutorials.

I edited your thread title per forum guidelines for clarity. If you want it to be different, you can change it as mentioned before.
    edited 2011-10-05 11:57
    THANK YOU! Youve bee a huge help! Unfortunately my work computer Im on right now wont let me download anything(cant open the files) but when I get back home to my laptop ill go through all those tutorials and get this IR sensor running.

Once again thank you for your time!