Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Stamp not found error message caused by battery pack slowly dieing — Parallax Forums

Stamp not found error message caused by battery pack slowly dieing

Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,181
edited 2011-10-05 09:49 in BASIC Stamp

Hello!
Here's a new one on me. I originally started the idea of solving the ideas of what happens when data is presented to a TI TI-83Plus calculator via the BS1. That one seemed to work best when it was receiving 6 to 9 volts via the connectors on the carrier board.

For that I presented to the stamp, power from this thing:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062254&numProdsPerPage=60

Which I had previously wired so that it could work with that company's moderately successful adapter plug system. (And not for the stamps.) I loaded it with four cells of the chosen size, and off I went.

Suddenly something happened, and the now selected stamp, a BS2, wasn't found. It worked previously through all iterations, of this code:
' {$STAMP BS2}
' {$PBASIC 2.0}

serdata   VAR   Byte

again:
'*****this will wait for serial from calculator
SERIN 0,396,[serdata]

'***this will send it to the pc debug screen
DEBUG DEC serdata, CR

'***this will send the same data plus 1 back to the calculator
serdata=serdata + 1
SEROUT 0,396,[serdata]
'DEBUG DEC serdata, CR
SEROUT 1,396,[serdata]
'DEBUG DEC serdata, CR
SEROUT 2,396,[serdata]
'DEBUG DEC serdata, CR
SEROUT 3,396,[serdata]
'DEBUG DEC serdata, CR
SEROUT 4,396,[serdata]
DEBUG DEC serdata, CR
DEBUG HEX serdata, CR
DEBUG HEX serdata, CR
GOTO again

And after rewiring the stamp so that it would work with my, ah, bench supply, it worked.

This meant swapping the power connection from the stamp's VIN connection for unregulated power, to the VDD one, which is regulated.

I should mention of course that the reason why the legend says it is solved, is that I managed to do so, before posting. I am doing that, so that everyone else avoids this classic pitfall.

I will have to track down a collection of AAA cells for both that pack, and other items in my collection who use them.