Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BOE-Bot not detected on Mac computer using USB — Parallax Forums

BOE-Bot not detected on Mac computer using USB

capguycapguy Posts: 3
edited 2011-10-15 18:38 in BASIC Stamp
I bought a boe bot robot kit for one of my classes that I am taking and own a mac, but when I connect the USB cord in, the MacBS2 editing system does not make the connection between the stamp and does not identify it. I have already downloaded the new drivers off of the FTDI website and it is still giving me these problems. So if anyone can help me ASAP I would greatly appreciate it.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-09-29 11:47
    The BoeBot has to be powered to be recognized by either MacBS2 or its Windows equivalent. The USB cable has to work and the drivers have to be installed properly.

Check your power source. Try another USB cable. Try reinstalling the FTDI driver and make sure the BoeBot isn't plugged in when you do so.

MacBS2 won't work under MacOS Lion, but it's always worked fine for me on a variety of Macs and versions of MacOS prior to Lion.
  • capguycapguy Posts: 3
    edited 2011-09-29 13:22
    When I have tried it has been on and I have also tried different USB cables, bought new batteries and just reinstalled the VCP driver from the FTDI website and it still fails to open up a serial connection when I try to identify the STAMP
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2011-09-29 14:10
    I have adjusted your subject so that others will know what your message is about and if they can help.
  • capguycapguy Posts: 3
    edited 2011-09-29 15:13
    alright thanks
    edited 2011-09-29 15:56
    This may be one of those occasions where you have to talk to a "real person". I suggest you call Parallax's Tech Support people tomorrow with your setup in front of you.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2011-09-29 16:01
    Mike, I suggested he post to the forums as Parallax cannot directly support this connection on a Mac. Tech Support does have a Mac and therefore cannot troubleshoot the connection or driver installation. The software is also 3rd party. I know there are about a dozen frequent Mac users who may be able to think of something we're mising here. For example, is the OP running the version of Mac OS you said won't support the software? Where do you go on the Mac to verify the FTDI drivers are installed?
  • Jimmy LiebJimmy Lieb Posts: 46
    edited 2011-09-30 19:44
    my suggestion? boot camp. just get a copy of XP, it is really cheap now, and you could run the editor in that.
    edited 2011-09-30 21:09
    Like I said, I've used MacBS2 on pretty much every version of MacOS since it came out up through Snow Leopard and it's always worked for me without any problems. This includes on a PowerBook and several MacBooks over time. I've sometimes downloaded and installed new FTDI drivers for new OS versions. I've used MacBS2 to program a BS2, BS2sx, BS2p, BS2pe, all without problems, so there's something about your situation that's different. Most people with your problem eventually find and fix a problem with their USB cable or power supply or software (by redownloading and reinstalling MacBS2 or the FTDI driver). Make sure you've downloaded and installed the Stamp Tokenizer as described in the MacBS2 documentation. If you have a PC available, you could try the Stamp Editor just to make sure your BoeBot and USB cable are working properly.
  • ericmc2ericmc2 Posts: 6
    edited 2011-10-15 15:58
    Not sure if there was any resolution on this issue, but I am having a similar issue. I am seeing a series of quick red and blue flashes after plug in, but I am not connecting in MacBS2. I know this is not officially supported by Parallax, but if anyone out there has a "non-official" solution, I would love to hear it.
    Thanks
  • ericmc2ericmc2 Posts: 6
    edited 2011-10-15 17:14
    For those who are still struggling with this issue, I found the answer (for me at least) and I had not seen it listed elsewhere so hopefully this will help others in the future.

You need to make sure to the select usbserial-A1009ZSV, from the Serial Port option, in the drop-down menu Stamp.
    See the screen shot below:
    Screen shot 2011-10-15 at 5.01.25 PM.png

Once I did this, I got the "happy face" in the MacBS2 console.

Of course, this was after I trashed my existing FTDI Driver (explained by Jessica Uelmen here), restart, installed new FTDI driver, restart, launch MacBS2.

I am looking forward to getting started!
    edited 2011-10-15 18:38
    ericmc2,
    Yep. That's how the FTDI adapters show up. The "A1009ZSV" may be different since it's the id of the specific adapter that you have, but the general format of the menu item is the same. Have fun with the Stamp.