Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
DC Linear Actuator Control — Parallax Forums

DC Linear Actuator Control

majnunmajnun Posts: 1
edited 2011-09-24 09:17 in Robotics
Hi all,

I'm panning on using a 12 DC linear actuator to control flip-up headlights in a car. I'm an average electronics "tinkerer", and new to the Basic Stamp.

Is there an easy way to control two actuators to extend / retract a predetermined distance? I want to avoid using limit switches, as to minimize the amount of wiring and real estate needed for the circuit, and to reduce the amount of potential problems that may occur.

Any help will most definitely be appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• alex123alex123 Posts: 102
    edited 2011-09-24 06:27
    With a linear actuator you need to add a limit switch or an encoder unless you find one that has one built-in.

How about a high torque servo? You have all-in-one solution this way. You'd need a simple 12V to 6V regulator, that's all. Controling the servo is really simple too. You don't need a microcontroller for that. Just generate 2 pulses 1.25ms and 1.75ms (w/ 555 chip) and switch between them for on/off. Teak the pulse widths for the position endpoints.
  • graffixgraffix Posts: 389
    edited 2011-09-24 06:37
    check the similar threads at the bottom of this thread.Welcome to the forums majnun.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-09-24 09:17
    Many different types of linear actuators. Some have built-in limit switches at each end. You just reverse polarity to the two power wires to change direction, and it stops at the travel limit.

Simplest electronic solution is to use one of these and design your mechanicals to fit.