Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
October Servo Cover goes to Gordon McComb! — Parallax Forums

October Servo Cover goes to Gordon McComb!

Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
edited 2011-09-25 09:56 in Robotics
Congratulations to our fellow forum member Gordon McComb!

Not only does the October Servo feature his "Adding A Microcontroller to The Beginner Bot" - he got the cover too!!!

Comments

• GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2011-09-22 14:33
    Thanks, Bill.

It would have been nice if they had done the cover for the Propeller version, which won't be out for another few months. That installment had to wait for a certain board to be completed. The Prop version adds a couple of features, including saying "ouch!" when the robot collides with something.

-- Gordon
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2011-09-22 15:44
    Sorry Gordon, life conspired to keep me from shipping earlier.

I am reading your October article right now... I like it so far!
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2011-09-22 16:58
    You both should be proud of your covers! Two in a row, (although Gordon is no stranger to the pages of Servo and Robot)

Thanks guys for keeping the Parallax/Propeller momentum going!

Jim
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2011-09-23 07:59
    Congratulations Gordon, Good stuff.

-Tommy
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2011-09-23 09:23
    I think you guys must get your copies or Servo before I do. They're often talked about here on the forum a couple of weeks before I received my issue. That's what I get for living in the sticks.

I did receive my November/December Robot magazine yesterday. Page 6 is about Robot Builder's Bonanza. Here's one of the glowing quotes "any reader who does not have a copy of this book I believe would find it a treasure - I recommend this fine volume as the next addition to your lab bench library."

Tom Atwood (Editor-in-Chief) goes on to say what a great guy Gordon is. I don't remember all of the details but I think there's something about Gordon repulsing invading aliens from outer space. (Or it might have been about Gordon writing a bunch of great books and articles.)

Congratulations from me as well.

Duane
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2011-09-23 10:03
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    Gordon repulsing invading aliens from outer space

I have been called repulsive a number of times. The invading aliens were named the Cinnabons, hideous creatures oozing a sugary substance between the folds of their skins (yes plural, skins - yeech!). You can thank me later.

I, too, get my copies of SERVO and N&V much later than most, and I live in a populated area of Southern California. I think it comes down to who you know.

I've not yet actually seen Tom's review of the book. Let it be known our very own Erco introduced me to Tom. I understand the two enjoy sharing amusing anecdotes about plywood.

-- Gordon
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2011-09-23 10:21
    I get my Servo and Nuts&Volts digitally... so links show up magically in my email box :)

Sometimes I also buy the dead tree version.
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2011-09-23 11:03
    Congratulation Gordon.
  • Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
    edited 2011-09-24 08:27
    wtg gm!
    -mg
  • ajwardajward Posts: 1,129
    edited 2011-09-24 17:33
    Excellent Gordon! Congrats!
  • BamseBamse Posts: 561
    edited 2011-09-24 19:33
    Nice work, congrats...
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2011-09-25 09:56
    Gordon, a big congratulations for this great accomplishment.